Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Old Age Is Not Easy

 I visited a lady who is 85 this week. Her body has aged over the years, but her mind is still sharp. We talked about growing old. She said, "Growing old is not easy." Numerous challenges accompany old age. Challenges like deteriorating health. Life revolves around doctor's appointments and taking prescribed medications on time. The world begins to shrink smaller and smaller. I mean that some elderly do not get out any more than they absolutely have to do. Some are confined to care facilities and become insulated and isolated from the outside world. 

Another elderly lady told me today, "Growing old is not for the young at heart." Her long silver hear speak to many decades on this earth. I think the second lady meant that old age brings a lot of challenges. I met this lady at the same rehab facility Brenda goes to. She is there working with her husband who has Alzheimer. She has to help him do the simplest task like getting up out of bed, sitting in a chair, standing up out of a chair, and climbing stairs. She helps her husband with all these exercises multiple times a week trying to prolong his quality of life, while hers gets harder. On top of all that, she slipped off a ladder and hurt her foot and is in a walking boot. Her challenges are numerous. Sometimes she looks very tired. 

I talked to a retired pastor friend of mine earlier in the week. He asked his doctor why he felt fatigued all the time and had low energy levels. The doctor simply replied, "78!" My friend did not know what the doctor meant wondering if it referred to some vital sign number. The doctor informed him that he was tired because my friend is 78 years old. The doctor gave him permission to take a nap. I asked my friend if he was taking the doc's advice. He replied, "Nah! I have never been a napper. You got to keep going or you will just give up and lose all your health." 

Even the most robust, productive, and highly driven people age. That does not mean it is easy. Joints ache. Eyesight dims. Hearing fades. Stamina weakens. Sometimes the memory fades.

What most senior adults have is wisdom. Wisdom that needs passed down to the younger generations. This requires seniors wanting to share the wisdom and younger people desiring to learn it. It can mutually benefit both age groups. We live in segmented societies where both age groups do not often get together except in a worship service. This is sad. 

The issue is not that we age. The real issue is how we age. That 85-year-old I spoke of earlier inspired me when she decided at 83 to read the Bible through from Genesis to Revelation. She persevered and accomplished her goal. What did she do next? She started over again for the second time. My 78-year-old pastor friend still preaches and pastored up until a year ago when his wife got sick and nearly died. He told me about a 90-year-old preacher who still drives 30 miles to a church and preachers every Sunday. That 90-year-old is thrilled to still have a place to preach every Sunday at his age. 

It may not be easy to get old, but that is no excuse for not being productive in some way. Prayer warriors are vitally needed for this nation and world. Pastors need groups praying for them as they minister under relentless spiritual assault. Seniors can do that no matter how poor their health becomes. Older people can help the younger ones navigate the difficult early years in marriage and raising children. The snowflake generation need to learn how to cope with adversity and affliction. Seniors have done that for decades. 

I am fast approaching senior adulthood myself. I have a greater appreciation for senior adults. I learn a great deal from them. I see their faithfulness and loyalty to their local congregations. Younger people are quick to cut bait and run when things don't go the way they want. Senior adults are prone to stay the course and see their church through good and bad times. 

It may be true that old age is not easy. It does have it rewards One senior lady told me recently, "I am nearly home and that is what I have been living for anyway." Yes mam. We are nearly home even though the journey is not always easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment