Wednesday, June 28, 2023

On the Road Again

 In just a few hours I will lug out my old, weathered suitcase and pack for my next preaching trip. Something I have done numerous times before. I am headed northwest to the mountains of New Mexico. Three things make this trip unique. One is that I will miss my 32nd wedding anniversary. This is not the first time I have missed it due to preaching some camp, revival or being on a mission trip. We will celebrate when I return home. The second unique part of this trip is that Turner, our youngest, is going with me not just to attend, but to actually do the morning teaching. That will make this camp all the more special for me. Lastly, I preached camps for this church in New Mexico nearly two decades ago. Some of the same people are in leadership. The students are new, but we are seeking the same God. 

Only for Jesus would I leave the woman I love so dearly and the flock I cherish. For Jesus I pack my bags, load up in the vehicle and make the near five-hour drive to FBC Sudan, TX where we will spend the night and get up tomorrow to make the rest of the trip. Only for Jesus would I willingly sleep in a strange bed and eat camp food. Only for Jesus would I leave Spring Creek when so many exciting things are going on. Only for Jesus would I invite another to stand in the pulpit in my familiar place to preach this Sunday while I pour Jesu and the Bible into students elsewhere. 

I've hit the road hundreds of times over the past 35 years to preach and teach. It is a gift. I am humbled God chooses to use me to minister to students at my advanced age. I will keep doing so as long as He opens the doors. I will follow where He leads. This week it is up in the mountains to meet with God. This fall it will be in a classroom teaching Bible at Pinnacle Christian School.

The hour is early. I could not sleep. Praying through so many things. Praying through all God is calling me to join Him in doing. Praying for this camp. Praying for Brenda while I am away. Praying for things on the horizon. 

I am excited about the opportunity to preach again, but not so excited about leaving home. Predictably I have procrastinated until the last minute to pack. Turner packed last night. I always wait until the last minute. Been that way for decades. I think it is because I would only hit the road again for Jesus. By nature, I am more of a homebody. Lord knows I certainly have a lot of work to do around me right here. For these few days I put all that on hold. I hit the road again to chase God high on the mountain with some students and adults. It's all the more special that I get to do it with my son this time. 

On the road again. I just can't wait, well maybe after a little more sleep, to get on the road again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment