Thursday, June 8, 2023

God Chasers

 I noticed her when I rounded the corner on the way through the gym. A junior girl sitting on the floor waiting for summer workouts to begin. She had her Bible out reading it with a hi-lighter. This is not a onetime event. She has done it all weekend long. Her family has to drop her off early so they can get to work on time. She goes in the gym to spend time alone with her God. This girl radiates joy every time I see her. She made a deep impression on me the first time I met her a year ago. That has only grown in the time I have known and observed her. 

Seeing a sixteen-year-old committed to having time alone with the Lord moved me. I wish all adults were as committed as she appears to be. Adults are quick to make excuses about how busy they are to try justifying why they do not meet with the Lord consistently. Being busy is no excuse. Most everyone is busy. Jesus certainly was and He still got up early to spend time alone with His Father. We really have no excuses. It is not a time problem. It is a priority problem. It is a heart problem. 

If a teenaged girl loves God so much that she carves out time for Him before working out, shouldn't all of us work just as diligently to carve out time for devotions also? Moses did. Moses made pursuing God a priority. He frequented the tent of meeting to inquire of God. God met with him in that tent. Moses enjoyed encounters with Yahweh in the tent of meeting. God spoke to Moses as to a friend in that sacred space. 

Moses did not have a Bible in his lap, but God gave him the Law in His hands and heart. Moses hungered for more. He was not satisfied with past God encounters and past miracles. Moses wanted more. It fueled the passion to seek God.  Moses had a hunger for the living God. 

So did David. David hungered and thirsted after more of God. That hunger propelled David closer to God. Not with a Bible in his lap but rather a pen in his hand to capture beautiful worship prose. David challenges us to be people after God's own heart. To remain in constant pursuit of Him. To be a private worshiper before being a public worshiper. 

I am not satisfied. I know there is more of God to discover. I know there is more to learn, more to experience, more to encounter, and more to be revealed. I do not want to become content in my condition. I want to be a God chaser in hot pursuit of Him and His will. It might require a great deal of time alone. It might mean some sleepless nights. It might necessitate some early mornings. It might require some extended time to linger with Him. The reward is well worth the effort. I pray the desire for more of Him never subsides and that He will use me to challenge others in their pursuit of Him too. May we all devote ourselves to being God chasers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment