Thursday, December 30, 2021

One Molecule of Water

 I have spent a good portion of this afternoon diving deep into the history of Spring Creek Baptist Church. When it started. The highlights of 140 years of our journey of faith. A fascinating journey of bold faith. One that began back in 1882. 

I am the 68th pastor of this church. Just one of many. I have not distinguished myself from any of others. One name among those pastors stands out more than the rest. Bob Harper. He served here for 14 years. No other pastor has come close to matching his tenure, though I am determined to try. The church flourished under his leadership. They expanded the facilities under his direction. A personable, diligent student, voracious reader (his library had close to 15,000 books), a devoted pastor, and a seeker of revival characterizes Bob Harper. His ministry cannot be measured in words. Only in memories of those who were blessed by his loving ministry. He preached here in October of 2019 at eighty years old. People packed the pews to hear from Brother Bob come and preach again to his beloved Spring Creek. He resides in a care facility now where he is still known as Brother Bob. 

You may be wondering what in the world the title of this post has to do with Spring Creek and Brother Bob. Let me try to explain. I was made aware today that my role in the amazing history of this church is but a molecule of water in a massive waterfall of history. My short tenure here is but a drop in a bucket compared to Brother Bob's near decade and a half splash into the Spring Creek community. 

I think of brave bold adventurers here from the past with names like Barrett, Floyd, Horton, McLaughlin, and Harper who have forged ahead in bold faith believing God for unseen things ahead. I think of the bold faith of a self educated pastor who refused to listen to the experts but, tuned his hear to heaven to attempt the impossible. God honored their faith and brought us to where we are today. All of them played major roles in the history here. I am just one small molecule of water in their giant water fall history. A role I am honored to play and serve. May God never quit honoring the bold faith of these people for His glory and the expansion of His Kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment