Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Still Active and Productive

We love the new and improved. The latest model. The updated technology. The latest and greatest. Sometimes this happens with people. As they age, corporate America looks for the newest hot shot. The up and comer.

A person can live and be effective well into their senior adult years. Senior adults still have a lot to offer. Wisdom, leadership, love, prayer and even pastoral ministry.

I was surprised to learn the ages of some very prominent pastors. Charles Stanley is 87 and still preaching at FBC Atlanta, GA. Church Swindoll is still going strong as a pastor at 85 in Frisco, TX. John MacArthur is still faithfully expositing the word of God at 81. David Jeremiah still serves faithfully at Shadow Mountain Community Church at 79. John Piper still writes books and travels adn preaches at 74. Tony Evans still serves as Senior Pastor at Oakcliff Bible Fellowship at the age of 70.

Just because a person ages does not mean they are no longer useful. Who said just because a person gets older they do not have a great deal to offer. I watch when some men retire. They are bored to death. One of my neighbors often drives around the community to waste time. He plays golf daily, but that does not seem satisfying. He has no purpose.

The aforementioned pastors still have purpose. They still contribute. They still have a reason to get up every morning. I have always admired those who are active and productive in their twilight years. My pastor, who retired from my home church after 34 years, is now pastoring a smaller church. He has had knee replacements and battled other ailments. He still faithfully proclaims God's word in his middle seventies. That inspires me. Another friend of mine who just turned 60 went out and ran two miles the other day just to see if he could do it. Our chairman of deacons is 67 and still hauls and stacks hay by himself.

I am pushing 54 and have no plans for retirement. I want to serve Jesus as long as I am physically and mentally able to do so. I feel like I am just hitting my stride. Growing older has challenges. Aches and pains. Health issues. The mind does not recall like it used to be able to do. There is still service that can be done. There is still ministry for Jesus to be done. There is wisdom to impart.

Don't use your age as an excuse not to be active and productive. I am betting you still have a lot to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment