Thursday, June 25, 2020

Followers and Likes

Looking at the analytical statistics on my blog earlier, I noticed something I never paid attention to before. There is a category to keep track of how many follow this blog has. I have none. Zero. Zilch. Nata. The more I thought about it the more I thought that is how it should be. I do not want anyone following me. I want all people following Jesus. I want my life to be one big arrow pointing people to Jesus.

People boast about how many follow them. I understand it is an enlarged platform to get a message out. I still prefer people to follow Jesus not me. I am a man. A mortal with a fallen sin nature. It is only a matter of time before I let someone down. I do not deserve to be put on a pedestal. I am not a person to be admired. The only good in me is what Jesus has done and continues to do. Follow Him. Admire Him. Exalt Him.

In this age of social media, I came out of seclusion and rejoined. For one reason. To promote Jesus. I have no interest in any other thing. I do not read newsfeeds. I post my writings about Jesus or truth from the Bible. I do not write for "likes." In fact, I fully expect some of the things I write will not be liked because it will hit hard. It will challenge. Sometimes the truth hurts. People often do not like the truth.

You have no interest in what I ate for breakfast. What my kids do. What our dog did in the dining room I had to clean up. I will not be enslaved to "likes" and what others think of me. My focus needs to be on what Jesus thinks of me. How is my life honoring Him. Does He like the way I'm living? So I returned to social media to point others to him.

 The late evangelist, Vance Havner, often said, "I've come to comfort the afflicted and to afflict the comfortable." My sentiments exactly.

Follow Jesus. Like Jesus. No, love Jesus. That is my whole life message.

No comments:

Post a Comment