Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Occupied

My translation of the scriptures uses the word occupied. Other translations word it differently. They use words like devoted, pressed in Spirit, engrossed and completely absorbed.

Have you ever been so preoccupied doing something you last track of time? Have you ever so completely devoted yourself to a project you became oblivious to everything ad everyone around you? Have you ever been so completely absorbed in the work before you that completing the job got your utmost concentration and best efforts?

It was that little word occupied that stopped me in my tracks studying today. I intended to teach elven verses. The word occupied appeared in the fifth, and I never went any further. The word and context it was used in both inspired and convicted me at the same time. Inspired by utter devotion to the task at hand. Convicted by my failure to follow this example.

The word is found in Acts 18:5 in the ESV. Paul is in Corinth reasoning with the Jews in the synagogue trying to persuade them to believe on Jesus Christ. Many did believe and followed in baptism including the leader of the synagogue and his family. He was occupied in this mission.

I love Spring Creek Baptist Church with my whole heart. I am so blessed to serve here. This church is commendable in many ways. We have one glaring weakness. We only baptized two people in all of 2019. In my previous church we only baptized one in 2018 and 2019 combined. I don't blame them. I blame myself. I should be more occupied with sharing Jesus. I was trained to do that as a young Christian. I did it consistently in previous ministries. I have not succeeded in that ministry in the past several years.

It breaks my heart as I write this. I have not been occupied. I have been  occupied with dozens of other things that will not matter that much in eternity. The glaring question I ask myself is why? I cannot use the excuse I don't know enough. I was trained in evangelism. I took a college and seminary class on it. I have witnessed to many people over the years. It has been months since God used me to lead anyone to faith in Christ. There is only one tragic explanation. I don't care enough to motivate me witness consistently. ,

It is very convicting to teach through the book of Acts and realize evangelism is something I and so many others in the church across the United States, give lip service to, but do not follow through in doing. Something has to change. I have to change. No more excuses. I plead with God to make me occupied with taking the name of Jesus to those who do not know Him. May the Holy Spirt press this on me night and day without relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment