Monday, January 13, 2020

Another Lap Around The Sun

Pastor and author Mark Batterson, wrote a chapter titled "Another lap around the sun." What he went on to explain is that another lap around the sun is another year to live as the sun revolves around the earth. The challenge is that we make the most of our years. We only have so many laps around the sun.

I don't know where you are on your journey. You may be closer to the end than the beginning. Some may be in the middle and others may be just starting out. No matter where you are on this journey called life, I bet most agree it goes fast. Birthdays seem to come around faster than when you were a youngster. So do holidays. Life spins at a pretty good clip.  If not careful how you use your time, another lap around the sun will come and go.

In my mind I am still a young man. When I work out and hear the snaps, pops and crackling of my joints, I'm reminded many laps around the sun are catching up with me. My body does not bounce back from injury the way it used to. Long hard days catch up with me sooner than they used to. I forget things a little more. Some of you chuckle, because you have already been there too, or you are battling these same things yourselves.

Like it or not, we all age. Laps around the sun take their toll. That does not mean we have to quit living. We can still be productive in our old age. Mother Teresa was 69 when she won the Nobel Peace Prize. Laura Ingles Wilder did not publish the fist book in her Little House On The Prairie series until she was 64. President Trump is 73 and going strong. The oldest CEO among the Fortune 500 companies is Warren Buffet at 84.

It got me to thinking about the ages of some of our nation's most iconic pastors. David Jeremiah is still preaching and serving as pastor of the Shadow Mountain Community Church at age 78. Chuck Swindoll is still pastoring at the age of 85 as well as leading a radio ministry.. Charles Stanley has served the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, GA for decades  and still preaches at age 87.

We still have something to offer even on our last laps around the sun. We still can be productive. At 53, I'm just a spring chicken. Lord willing, I have many more laps around the sun and I want to make the most of all them. Serving a flock I love deeply and living in my sweet spot I am having the time of my life. I don't take those things for granted. I may pace myself a little more these days, but by the grace of God I set my sights on another lap. I trust you will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment