Sunday, January 6, 2019

Under The Weather But Over The Circumstances

I have been under the weather for the past week. I've not slept well at night. Dealt with sinuses all week. Gone through mounds of tissue paper blowing my nose. I felt drained all week. Lethargic. Even though I was asked to preach a double funeral in addition to Sunday duties.

I awoke with no inspiration for a sermon this week and again today. I got up at 2:30 a.m. to pray and get a message. I did not get any inspiration. When we left to drive to our worship gathering we did so with no message or hint of direction in my heart. I sat in my office looking for something when we arrived. I walked out with just a few minutes before the start of the service with nothing. Through every song I rummaged through my brain for some inspiration. I turned to one passage and then another in vain. Nothing seemed to touch my soul.

To make matters worse we had five extra visitors. I thought to myself, "Great. Visitors on a day when I don't feel well and when I have no message." One by one we sang the songs. Faster than I wanted they took up an offering just before I was scheduled to preach. In those few moments I would mount the steps and stand before the congregation with nothing to say. I determined I would not get up and fake it. Either God would inspire a message or I would stand there with nothing to share.

Then suddenly a glimmer of inspiration came. Using two different passages I prayed silently just before walking up the steps. With the faintest glimmer of fire I preached. I doubt anyone knew the sermon was not planned in advance. God gave it on the spot. I felt passion and peace delivering it. Something happened. When I read the first phrase of the first verse I got caught up in the Spirit. I no longer focused on how bad I felt. I no longer focused on the fact I did not have a message prepared. I just went verse to verse and the thoughts and the words flowed.

I felt under the weather but God allowed me to be over my circumstances. He helped me to fulfill all  my responsibilities. There are times when we do not feel well. We do not feel well physically, emotionally or psychologically but in such times God helps us to triumph over those things.

When we are low He helps us rise above our circumstances. Like eagles that soar above storms when they occur we can soar above our circumstances. We fly like eagles above the troubles and trials. If we walk and wait on God we can overcome.

Isaiah 40:31 (NKJV)
31  But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment