Thursday, January 24, 2019

God Show Us More

I took my mother-in-law for a doctor's appointment in the metroplex today. She didn't want me go in with her so I went to the public library just around the corner. I walked through the large building to the back until I found a little table and chair where I sat to work.

I opened my Bible to Jeremiah 30 and began reading after praying for a fresh word. I didn't take long. Three chapters in fact before I came across the verse for my day.

Jeremiah 33:3 (NKJV)
3  'Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'

There I sat in a massive building lined with shelves of books. I looked down at my Bible and read through the verse slowly again meditating on each word. Then I prayed. A humble prayer. In that moment I realized I still have so much to learn about God, about Bible truth, about knowledge gained by others and preserved in the pages of books. I felt woefully ignorant and unlearned in that library surrounded by books of knowledge everywhere. Of course the book that most grabbed my attention was the open Bible before me.

God's showing for me is His showing great and mighty things I do not know. There is so much I do not know. Great things. Mighty things. Hidden things. I want God to show me. I want to learn. I want to grow. I want to gain insight.

When God told Jeremiah He would show Him great mighty things what does the word show mean? The word show means to announce, declare and report. How many things do I need God to announce? How much truth do I need Him to declare daily? How many new revelations do I long for Him to report?

All I could bring myself to ask for today was for God to show me great and mighty things I do not know. Great things are multiple things and exceedingly powerful things. I don't just want knowledge of the scriptures. I want deep insights. I don't want to just dig the mines of God's truth for dirt found on the surface. I want Him to announce, declare and report things below the surface where the gold is found. I want to dig deeper until I find nuggets of truth not found by just raking. Raking is easier than digging. Raking produces leaves. Digging sometimes produces gold. I saw that statement in a bookstore inside a local church years ago.

There is so much to learn and in my middle aged years I am running out of time to learn it. So much truth to discover. So much more of God to unpack. So I call on Him to expand my mind to understand more and my heart to love and experience more. I plead for Him to intensify my hunger and eagerness to learn.

I want God to show me more. More than I have ever learned before. More than I have ever seen before. More than I have ever understood before. God, please show me more. Show all of us more in your church. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment