Monday, January 7, 2019

Catch Me Up

Bob Harper is a retired pastor friend of mine. He lives in a retirement home now after losing his wife last year. He and I share a love for reading and especially reading about past revivals. He served as a pastor until he was eighty years old when he finally had to quit driving and retired.

I saw him today. We visited about football, past preachers and books we both love so much. I had the chance to ask him many questions about his ministry. He kept saying how good the Lord had been to him. He did not get a formal theological education and yet he is self educated through books. He is well versed in most doctrines of the Christian faith. He did not get saved until he was 38 years old. At the time he worked for Pepsi. As he grew God called him to preach and he did so faithfully for forty years.

One day while out driving his Pepsi route and listening to an old preacher, J. Vernon McGee, preach Brother Bob pulled the truck off the road and parked in a ditch so he could listen more intently. McGee asked the question if his listeners felt sorry for themselves if they were saved later in life. Brother Bob felt that way. Then McGee said, "Don't worry God can catch you up." Brother Bob bowed his head in that truck and asked God to catch him up.

Over four decades later I say God answered that prayer emphatically. Brother Bob at 81 still has a hunger for God and His word. He inspires me. I go to visit him for selfish reasons. I get the blessing. I enjoy the company. I get encouraged. I leave uplifted.

I feel like many years of my life and ministry have been wasted. I long to be more productive. To bear more fruit. To be a more useful vessel. God can catch me up. He can do more in a year of anointed ministry than I have been able to accomplish in three decades. He can reveal more of Himself and pull me higher in Him. He can open doors no man can shut and also shut doors that no man can open. If I fully yield myself to Him and devote myself to seeking Him He can catch me up. I need that. I need to catch up.

There is so much work left to do. So many souls to be won. So many sermons to preach and teach. So much more Bible to study and learn.. So many more books left to read. So many more articles to write. He can catch me up. Just like He did with Brother Bob. He can do the same for you too. God can catch us all up to maturity like He desires for us. I ask You Heavenly Father,  to give us the desire and discipline to do our part. You alone can create an insatiable hunger for You. One that will not wear off like emotional decisions are prone to do. I ask You for a hunger to grow and intensify all the remaining days of our lives. May we never get enough of You. Please intensify our hunger and thirst for You and spiritual things.

Psalm 42:1-2 (NKJV)
1  As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God.
2  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?

No comments:

Post a Comment