Thursday, January 24, 2019

I Am Willing Gladly To Die Today

It is hard to believe that a time existed in history when people did not have access to God's word in English and when  the Catholic papacy preached whatever they wanted. The Catholic Church controlled the people. They controlled what was preached. They opposed the Bible being translated into the language of the common people. We owe a great debt to the reformers.

I just finished reading about one of those reformers named Jon Huss. Huss fearlessly preached against the immoral practices of the Pope and the priests who violated the teaching of scripture. Huss saw their hypocrisy and immorality and thundered against them incessantly. God used Huss powerfully. At one point his congregation numbered in the thousands. This was back in the 1400's!

Twice the papacy tried to forcibly remove Huss from the pulpit during a worship gathering. Both times the congregants overpowered them and drove them away. Removing Huss proved to be no small order because the people loved him.

On more than one occasion Huss got excommunicated officially from the Catholic Church. He ignored it as his church wanted him to. He kept on preaching the truth and pointing people to authentic Christianity. He angered many ruling officials.

Eventually he was put on trial. Huss really never had the opportunity to defend himself against their trumped up charges of heresy. Catholic ruling officials only wanted Huss removed. They did not stop until a punishment of burning at the stake was pronounced.

When the day of execution came Huss was led to a field. On the way he passed where they were burning all his writings. People lined the streets to see their beloved pastor for the last time. Upon arriving at the stake he would be bound to Huss knelt and prayed. Afterward they tried to get him to recant of his beliefs at which Huss refused. The priests pronounced curses on him and put a paper crown on his head with little  painted devils drawn on it. The priests gave him over to the devil.

In some of Huss' last words he said, "God is my witness that the principle intention of my preaching and of all my other acts or writings was solely that I might turn men from sin. And in that truth of the Gospel that I wrote, taught and preached in accordance with the sayings and expositions of the holy doctors , I AM WILLING TO GLADLY DIE TODAY."

The crowd gasped at his words and everyone grew silent. His words angered his opponents and the executioners were ordered to lite the bundle of sticks around Huss. As the flames grew Huss started singing, "Christ, Thou Son of the living God, have mercy on me." After singing those words the third time the wind blew the flames in his face. No longer able to sing Huss dropped his head and prayed silently until his life ended.

Huss' opponents were not content for Huss just to die. At one point an executioner found his heart. They pierced his heart with a stick and watched it incinerate. They stoked the fire until there was nothing left of Huss except ashes. They loaded the ashes in a cart and dumped them in the Rhine River to be done with Huss forever.

And yet here I am in 2019 reading about Him and writing about Him. I am inspired by Huss. He faithfully pastored his flock. He also fearlessly preached God's word in the midst of opposition. Huss courageously opposed the hypocrisy of the papacy. In the end it cost him his life through a cruel violent death.

Huss faced his execution bravely. His words, "I am willing gladly to die," inspire me. It makes me wonder if I would have such courage in the face of death. It reminds me of my absolute favorite verse in the Bible. The verse I have instructed Brenda I want preached at my funeral.

Philippians 1:21 (NKJV)
21  For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.



No comments:

Post a Comment