Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The Blessing Of People

I just received a phone call from one of my childhood friends named Kevin. I met him when I moved to the neighborhood back in Lufkin, TX. He rode up on his big wheel while I rode mine. I am not sure who asked the question, "You wanna race?" A friendship formed that lasted through high school and beyond.

We laughed about some old times. We got into all sorts of mischief together. We built forts, played whatever ball was in season, chased girls, and all that before we were teenagers. He was there when I wrecked and totaled my mom's car.  He was with me when I drove my grandpa's fast enough to airborne over a bridge. I was with him when he got a new wench on his truck and intentionally got stuck so he could use it. Only problem, the cable ran about ten foot short of the nearest tree. We hunted together. We rode our bikes all over Lufkin, TX a sprawling Pine Tree laden town of 20,000 plus back in our childhood. The only time I got suspended from school for fighting was with, you guessed it, Kevin in seventh grade. We like the same girls from time to time. We spend our Friday and Saturday night "cruising Timberland". He introduced me to my first pizza buffet. I could not believe I could eat all the pizza I wanted.

Kevin was into cars and motorcycles. I was into football. We remained friends but drifted apart when I got saved and went off to college. We reconnected and played golf together a few times when I served a church in east Texas. When he called today it had been years since we last talked. We laughed. We reminisced just like old times. Things turned serious when he told me about some of his trials. I was saddened to learn in the past three years both his mom and dad died. He also lost a sister to a heart attack and a nephew. A lot of pain. We talked about God and church.

It got me to thinking about the value of relationships. Brenda and I have been blessed with so many. Every Sunday we go eat with dear friends of ours named Joe and Jan. We fight over  paying the bill. Truth is they insist on paying most of the time. They are a true blessing to us and have been for many years. They drive a long way each Sunday to hear me preach. We treasure those two immensely.

I think of the people at Heritage Baptist Church we are just getting to know. They have expressed love to us in many ways. We are blessed to get to worship with them. Just this past Sunday someone secretly gave Brenda two gifts. This has happened to her frequently. They as a church and individually blessed Tucker when he graduated. Many times we have been blessed with cookies or some other treat after a service. They are a loving bunch.

I think of what I like to call my inner circle of friends. They know who they are. These are men I trust and seek their counsel. These are the men who are not afraid to confront me when I am wrong or about to make a mistake. These are the ones who have remained loyal over many years. I trust them. I love them. They love me and have earned the right into the innermost affections of my heart.

There are many people who have loved, prayed, and supported Brenda and I over the years. Wonderful people who have loved us with more than words but also with deeds. We are humbled by their continued support. They are the ones who make up so many of the faith stories I have shared over the years. We have been the recipients of so many gifts and blessings over the years. We have received a washing machine, vehicles, a refrigerator that still works and is in my garage today, a television and more financial blessings than I can recount. Most of these people are not rich. They are just generous and willing to sacrifice. They want to bless others. We are continually humbled by their gifts.

We thank God for the people we have served in different churches over the years. Some we got to know better than others. We are thankful for shared memories and times of experiencing the powerful moving of God together. People we grew to love and still love even though our paths have parted.

We are thankful for new people we meet along the way. I am thankful for another pastor I met in Florida this summer as well as several adults I grew to know and love last week in south Texas.

There are people to know, to love and to share life together. People are some of God's greatest blessings. Brenda and I are rich with the love of many wonderful people. I am thankful for them.

Nobody blesses me more than Brenda and the four T's, as she likes to call them. Brenda, Taylor, Tanner, Tucker and Turner are God's greatest gift to me second only to my salvation. Praise God for  each of them. Times I get to share with them is a treat.

God, I thank you for people. So many I can't count them all by name. So many wonderful and blessed people. Family. Friends. Flocks. They are a blessing. I thank you for them. J. E. J. J. J. M. M. M. S. S. L. J. C. L. D. C. M. L. G. K. K. T. H. R. G.K. C. R. L. J. J. L. R. D. T. P. B. So many.  You know who each of those are. You know how much they mean to me. They are gifts from You. Thank You for them. I bless Your name for each of them. Please continue to shower my life with the blessing of people. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment