Friday, July 27, 2018

The Angels Are Rejoicing

I shared the gospel on our last night with the children and their parents at VBS. It was a simple presentation of how Jesus forgives us and takes away our sins. I also talked about commitment and Jesus taking over the driver's seat of our lives. No high pressure. No manipulation. I made myself available afterwards to talk to anyone. I am always nervous about children really understanding what they are doing when it comes to salvation. We can be so eager for them to get saved that we just want them to say "the prayer."

Over the years I have encountered a lot of people who "prayed the prayer" but did not understand repentance and salvation but they "prayed the prayer." Many of them have confessed to me they did not know what they did when they were younger when they prayed 'the prayer." So I told the children and parents that I would be the last one to leave if anyone wanted to talk to me afterward. Nobody responded as the evening came to an end.

I busied myself with helping take down decorations in preparation for our next worship gathering. In the middle of that a little boy approached me. He is from out of state and spent the week visiting his grandparents and attending our VBS. He is a sweet little boy. He came to help me. Brenda told me he really wanted to talk to me.

He nad I went back to my office. He told me he wanted to commit his life to Jesus. I explained the gospel a little more. I asked if knew what sin was and if he had ever committed any. He did not hesitate to give me several examples.

He prayed his own prayer. He bowed his little head and prayed a long time to himself.  Right there he made his peace with God and got gloriously saved. At that moment the angels rejoiced. So did I. So did his grandmother and Brenda and others he told moments later.

Come to find out he and his grandmother had already left to go home for the night when he told her what he wanted to do. She turned around and brought him back to talk to me. She could have just as easily more fully explained the gospel and led him to faith in Jesus. For some reasons she opted to let me be a part of that miraculous moment. I thank God for it. It made all the work, late nights, trying to corral children, all the hugs and little ones clamoring for attention worth it. Little Parker got saved and now he and I are brother in Jesus. The angels are rejoicing and so am I.

Luke 15:7 (NKJV)
7  I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sweet indeed. One soul is worth it all. Praying for our time together in October. May the Lord refresh our hearts in one another.

      Delete