Thursday, July 5, 2018

Grace

Ephesians 1:7 (ESV)
7  In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,

Today I am contemplating grace. Not just the grace I have received through the blood of Jesus but also the grace I am to extend to others because of His shed blood. 

It is easy to get angry with people who sin, fail, make poor choices and blow it. It is easy to get angry with myself for those same things. When I contemplate the grace given by Jesus, that is not even the best way to put it. The grace lavished on us by Jesus. 

Ephesians 1:8 (ESV) 
8  which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 

Grace lavished on us is underserved. It is also unmerited. Grace is God's mercy bestowed. It is God's forgiveness and pardon. It is wiping the slate clean and giving us a fresh start over and over again. God has done that for me. Why would not I not extend grace to others. Especially those closest to me. 

Recently a man shared some disturbing news with me about someone I love very much. The more I heard the more upset I became initially. Then the gentleman challenged me to deal with this individual in grace. The same kind of grace Jesus extended to me. That was wise advice. I've heeded that counsel. 

I have received grace. I must also extend grace. To my family. To my friends. To those entrusted to my pastoral care. To problematic people. To the lost. 

Grace is a beautiful thing. When the church extends grace a loving environment is created. A loving, caring and merciful attitude permeates the people. It is wonderful. It's what our world could use a lot more of in our dealing with people. I certainly need it. I also need to extend the same grace I received to others whether they deserve it or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment