Can three little words change your life? After all, it is just three words. I'll go even further than that. Can three little one syllable words change your life? They certainly did for me when a brown haired and brown eyed beauty at Howard Payne University said three words to me. What words? I love you. Those three little words changed my world in a way I could never have dreamed. She still says that to me three and half decades later after we said, "I do."
On the other hand, people hear the opposite three words, "I hate you." Those words damage the soul. Some never recover and spiral out of control into toxic choices trying to hide the pain. Spouses, siblings, parents, friends, coworkers, and even rivals have shouted these words. They cut deeply like a sword. The wounds may not be visible, but they are still real.
It got me to thinking about some of the three word sayings of Jesus. How about this little command. Love one another. If people followed that teaching of Jesus around the world imagine the impact. If Christians and Muslims loved one another. If opposing political parties loved one another what more could be accomplished. If people loved one another in the work place, it would be a more pleasant environment.
Jesus gave an invitation with the words, "Come to Me." An invitation you do not have to earn. You do not bribe, cheat, or deceive to get this invitation. It is extended to all of us. An invitation not based on merit. It is totally based on the good pleasure of the Lord to invite us to Him. He desires us more than we desire Him.
On another occasion, Jesus said to a grieving father, "Don't be afraid." He followed that up with only two words, "Only Believe." These words were spoken to a father who had just learned his daughter died. The words of Jesus were prophetic because He brought the girl back to life again.
One day a very influential man came to Jesus asking for help for his sick son. The father pleaded with Jesus to come before his son died. He believed Jesus could help. He wanted to take Jesus back to his home in order to get his son help. Jesus had something else in mind when He spoke three little words, "Your son lives." At that very moment the boy's fever broke and he recovered. The father learned of this later and believed along with all who were in his house.
Three little words. What might those words be for you today? I forgive you. I love you. I am willing. I accept you. I redeem you. Ask and receive. Do you believe? Nothing is impossible. There's no condemnation. There is power in the spoken words of the Savior. Even if they are just three little words. I don't know what you need to hear today, but I am confident the Lord can speak those words to you. Words of hope, peace, strength, faith, and comfort. Words of grace, mercy, acceptance, power, and perseverance. Whatever He speaks over you I implore you to believe it like the man in John 4:46-53. Three little words can change your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment