Friday, September 4, 2026

More Faith Steps

 We tend to get comfortable. We like security. Most people go out of their way to avoid risks. When I read scripture I see God leading people to do just the opposite. God called Abram to leave his home to go to an unknow destination God would reveal at a later time. [Gen 12:1] God called Moses to leave the life of shepherding sheep to become a deliverer for God's people leading them out of slavery. [Ex 3:1-12] God called the disciples to leave their fishing profession and families behind to follow Him. [Mark 1:16-18] 

Nothing about those calls was comfortable or safe. Each assignment required steps of faith. Each required God's help to complete the assignment for the tasks were bigger than their abilities. In each case, God intervened in powerful and dramatic ways. 

It appears to me that a great many Christ followers prefer to play it safe. They prefer the route of least resistance and with the most predictable outcome. Let's be honest. The church is filled with people who have small faith and a risk adverse mentality. Go ahead. Read [II Cor 5:7] and [Heb 11:6]. What do those verses call us to do? 

I just took three faith steps in the past ten minutes. I am not at liberty to tell you the nature of those steps at this time. Suffice it to say it required getting uncomfortable and taking some risk. Only God knows how it will turn out. Sometimes faith steps feel scary. That is only when our focus is not on God, His call, and His promises. I recently wrote about living to prove God hears and answers prayers. He is giving me the opportunity to prove that again. 

I'm not an advocate for foolish risk for risk sake. You will not find me strapped onto a bungy cord jumping off a high platform. I have no interest in sky diving. Nor am I interested in diving into shark infested waters. I look like a supersized extra value meal. 

I know God calls people to take faith steps that don't make any logical sense to onlookers. He has called me to take those steps many times and the naysayers criticized them every time. I've been forced to lean on God over and over again. I had no one else. Either God would come through or we would fail. There were some times we failed. Maybe I did not discern the call of God those times correctly. There have been more times when God came through. When He put the puzzle together. When He connected the dots. When He sent the right provision at the right time. Those happened after the faith steps. We want God to do the miracles first and then we will step out. God did not cut off the waters of the Jordan at flood stage until the priest set their foot in the water first. [Joshua 3:1-17] Miracles happen after faith steps. 

Do we really trust God? Do we really believe He is who He says He is and can do what He says He can do? Sooner or later we'll all be tested. God will call us to something that stretches us and makes us uncomfortable. It might even look a little risky. By faith we will obey or disobey because of doubt. The choice is ours and there are consequences for either decision. It just might be time to take some more faith steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment