Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Solitude in the Sancutary

I often retreat to the sanctuary in the middle of the week to simply sit before the Lord. I sit quietly reminding myself of all the spiritual victories that have been won in that space. I think of the many God encounters over the the years. I reminisce about all the sermons and salvations. I contemplate the weddings and the funerals. There is solace found there without the crowds. 

It is just God and me in those moments. Sacred moments. I sit and soak in His presence. He longs to be longed for by His people. Most Sundays we are so rushed I wonder how many times we miss Him. I'm contented with Him in the solitude of the sanctuary. No crowds. No musical instruments playing beautiful songs. No singers lifting up heartfelt worship. 

It is quiet. Gives me time to reflect. It affords me time to listen. To bask in His presence. He is what I yearn for most in this life. He is the object of my pursuit. I find Him in the still quiet places and moments. We commune in the solitude of the sanctuary. Sometimes I just sit. Other times I pray. On a few occasions I sing to Him. It is sacred time. 

Today, I sat in my usual seat staring at our white wooden cross surrounded by stained glass located above the baptistry. I thanked Him for opening the door and calling Brenda and I to move here. I thanked Him for the people who make up this church. I thanked Him for what He has already done in just over a year. I dreamed about all the seats filling up and needing to haul out more chairs. 

It was quiet. Just the sound of the building creaking under the force of the wind. I did not turn on any lights. I sat before the cross thankful that Jesus saved me. Humbled that He called me to the task of proclaiming His word and shepherding people. A task I am not adequate to do without Him. Thankful that I get to do that right here at First Southern in Fritch, TX, or Fritch America as the locals like to say. 

My worship encounters in the solitude of the sanctuary are sacred. They are focused. There are no distractions like the flow of the service, the sermon to be preached, and people all around me. Don't get me wrong. I love our worship services. Our worship team are anointed by God. Our people are enthusiastic in their worship. They truly hunger for God's word. They are encouraging to me. 

Sometimes you have to forsake the company of people to keep company with God. Jesus departed the crowds and found a deserted place to pray. Mark 1:35. We must do the same thing too. We live in a world of constant noise and hustle. Communing with God requires the opposite of those things. We need silence and solitude. You have to fight for those moments. You have to prioritize those times. When I leave the office and go to the sanctuary or the prayer room, there is always other work I could do. I took time to go to both places today. You know what? I have been more productive today than any day in the past few weeks. I studied for the message on Sunday morning, read scripture, and wrote more posts today than I can recall writing in one day in a long time. I think it all stemmed from some solitude time in the sanctuary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment