Theologian J.C. Ryle once wrote, "In matters of theology, the old is better." He wrote that in 1864. It is in the lengthy introduction to a book written in 1655 titled, The Christian in Complete Armon, by William Gurnall. That book is a massive volume of 656 pages. I am only 1/6 of the way through it. The context of Ryle's statement came from reading contemporary theology books of his day. He thought they were shallow in comparison to the older theology books.
Gurnall took 656 pages to write about 18 verses. I recently read a contemporary book by a best selling author who took 238 pages to write about hundreds of scriptures. This is true of many contemporary books. Those who trod the ancient paths in past centuries seemed to have a depth with God and greater insights into His word than modern sojourners.
Life was different in the 1600s. There were fewer distractions. People took more time to read, reflect, pray, and study the Bible. My shelves of numerous books are a mixture of old and new writers. For the most part, the books that stir me the most, and by the way are the hardest to read, are older books written in past centuries.
Few people have the inclination or the discipline to plow through a 656 page book. I assure you it is not speed reading. It is slow meditative reading if you hope to get anything out of it. Some of my spiritual heroes have recommended this book. I slowly plow through one page after another, needing to come up for air often to breathe common air. Gurnall wrote at a spiritual altitude than I have ever climbed. It is a mind bending read. That is good. It is good to be stretched. Good to be challenged. Good to think deeply.
I am sure many will debate Ryle's statement that the old is better when it comes to theology books. I tend to agree with him. I recall something John Piper once wrote, "Raking is easy, but all you get is leaves. Digging is harder, but sometimes you find gold." Reading old books can sure slow the pace when you set a goal of a number of books to read during the year. I'm readjusting that goal. It is not about the quantity of books read, but rather more about the quality of books read. Gurnall's book has survived 375 years. I recently picked up a book at a bookstore for $1 written in 2025. I don't think they will reprint that book for the next 375 years should Jesus tarry.
I think we have become intellectually lazy, especially with the introduction of artificial intelligence. It is so much easier and convenient to let this technology think for us. We had better beware lest we be deceived by false information. It is good to think. Reading an old and challenging book does for the mind what a vigorous workout does for the body. Maybe along the way we will be inspired with deep thoughts and wrestle with complex truths. Okay Mr. Ryle. I take up the challenge to see if the old is better.
No comments:
Post a Comment