The previous Sunday I had a message prepared. All through the worship I could not sing, but kept my head bowed in prayer. I felt unsettled about the message. A flashing scripture text crossed my mind. I wrestled with which message to preach. The impression to preach the flashing passage felt more pressing, so I changed the message on the spot and preached the unprepared message. Only God knows if it did any good for anyone.
All last week I busied myself with other tasks knowing I did not need to study for Sunday morning. I ventured to the prayer room Sunday morning before anyone else arrived at the church to pray. Once again I had a flashing thought of a scripture text come across my mind. For the first time in the week, I questioned if I was supposed to preach the prepared sermon. That is when I felt convicted. Not one time during the previous week had I even asked God what He wanted me to preach. I just assumed I would preach the prepared message. I repented and told the Lord I was sorry for not seeking Him about what to preach.
Through further prayer, I felt convinced to change the message to Mark 11:22-24. It was a message on faith and prayer. After the service, one of our ladies came up to me and said she knew that message was meant for at least one person in the service. She did not go into any details, but knew the message helped her friend.
Can God do that? Does He love people enough to change the message to speak directly to them? Yes. I believe He does that. Trouble is sometimes preachers are so tunnel visioned on what they have prepared that they are not open to a change in direction prompted by the Holy Spirit. This has happened to me numerous times over the years. After a while, people know that sermon titles and texts in bulletins are never set in stone. I try to go with God's direction over mine.
As this Monday unfolds, I want to learn from my mistake last week. I already asked God what He wants me to preach this week. In the past, there have been many messages I studied to deliver, but never preached them. God kept interrupting. I eventually discarded them. I'm starting to wonder if that is what God is doing this time. If He does not want me to preach that message, but to lean into Him for direction about the next message. Something fresh from Him.
God knows the hearts of the flock. He knows what He wants to say to them and what they need to hear. He is aware of every event in their lives. It is imperative that preachers listen to Him and not get stuck in our sermon series ignoring His promptings to alter our course. I know the dilemma this creates for the preacher. There is security in study and preparation. That should never override God's leadership. There have been many times when I asked God why He didn't reveal the change in messages earlier in the week so I could study. I think that is the point. He does not want preachers relying on their study. He wants us to rely on Him.
Some sermons are eloquent but lifeless. Some messages are informative but not inspiring. Some messages are intellectual but without fire. The better path is sensitivity to His leadership and to preach what He gives us. Not what we create. I personally commit to seeking on the front end so that I do not have to say, "I'm sorry Lord," because I didn't get His heart for what He wants to say to His people. He knows best. Preacher brethren, we must submit trusting, and obeying.
No comments:
Post a Comment