Saturday, August 17, 2024

The Engineer

 One of my favorite things we did on vacation this summer was to ride on old train. It was the first time in my life I ever rode on a full size train. It had been a dream of mine since a child. I felt child like that day as we prepared to board. Giddy would be a better description. I was surprised by the smooth ride. I expected it to be rougher. It was so smooth that on the return trip Turner and I both fell asleep. 

We waited ate the train depot with all the other passengers with great anticipation. We boarded the train showing our tickets. I was also surprised by how cool the temperature was inside the train. I figured it would hot right in the middle of the summer. Several passengers complained about feeling cold. Turner and I certainly did not. The passenger car we rode in actually had ceiling fans. We both wanted the fans turned on. 

Once we settled in our seats, it never really crossed my mind that our journey was left in the hands of the engineer. I just took it for granted that we would arrive at our intended destination and return again. Our job was to sit back and enjoy the journey. We certainly did that. That train trip proved to be my favorite part of our vacation followed closely behind climbing Enchanted Rock with Turner. 

I have been mulling over a quote made by devotional writer Oswald Chambers. He said very concisely, "Let God engineer." One of the meanings of the word engineer is the operator of train locomotive. In the same way I trusted the engineer this summer, I'm challenged to trust God to engineer the journey of life. I get on board with Him and trust His to get me where He wants me to be when He wants me to be there. My job is to enjoy the journey. I let Him handle all the details. I don't have to concern myself with switching tracks, schedules, speed, or other trains using the same tracks. The God who governs my life is the Engineer who handles all the details. 

Most people are control freaks. We work hard to control outcomes, our environment, and to avoid adversity. Farmers do this with their crops. Business people do so with profit margins. Sales people do this with sales quotas. Coaches do this with wins verses losses. Surgeons do this by operating in sterile operating rooms using the latest techniques to ensure the best outcome. 

The truth is we are not in control. Many times our days are thrown off track by unforeseen situations we did not plan for. Traffic backs up making people late for appointments. The test comes back positive for cancer. The stock market plunges causing loss of tens of thousands of dollars. The car breaks down. The kids get sick. The price of everything skyrockets. 

A person can fret and fear all this. That is why Chambers' simple message, "Let God engineer," is all the more potent. From our vantage point we can see life passing by like a passenger in a coach on a train. We cannot see what is in front us down the tracks. The Engineer sees what is ahead. We have to trust Him and His judgment. He knows what is best. 

If we let God engineer and stay out of His way, life will go much smoother. I am not saying that we will not encounter troubles along the way. God already is aware of those troubles and knows how to navigate us through them. If He is operating my life, I can trust Him with what is ahead. I do not have to be anxious. He knows where He wants me, how to get me there, and when He wants me to arrive. I get trust Him and enjoy the journey. I choose to let God engineer. I hope you will do the same as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment