Thursday, April 14, 2022

Camp Meeting Devotions - Day Forty-five

 Romans 8:26-27 (NASB)

26  In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;
27  and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

The Holy Spirit plays a vital role for Christians. One of those roles is to help us in our praying. He comes to our aid in our weakness. The word weakness means impotence, feeble, and strengthless. Have you been there? Are you there now? Where faith is feeble. Where intercessions are impotent. Where supplications are strengthless. We do not know how to pray like we should. Let that sink in. With all our focus on prayer we still do not know how to pray like we should. That is why we need the Holy Spirit to empower our praying and to lead us how to pray and what to pray. 

The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. That means He appeals to God on our behalf with sighs and mourning that are deeper prayer than any words could ever form. Some burdens are so heavy, some sorrows so deep, and some pains so excruciating words will not suffice. Deep agonizing groans are offered for help by the Spirit of God. 

Back in 2001 I was in a full-time evangelism ministry. My office was an old abandoned prayer room at my home church in Lufkin, TX. One night after ministering to a group of teenagers, we watched a video about the rampant increase of sin in America. I had to get up and leave to go to my office to pray. The burden weighed so heavily on me I could barely form words through the streams of tears pouring down my face. The burden was so oppressive it became hard to breathe. I prayed a prayer I have regretted for twenty-one years. I asked God to lift the burden because I did not feel I could take it. He answered that prayer and I never felt that way again. 

That is until yesterday afternoon. I received news so horrific and horrendous about heinous sin that I left the office and went to the prayer room. The tears flowed and the words would not come. Only deep groans like a person in pain. The pain was spiritual more than physical. I pleaded with God to keep the burden on me. Not to lessen the weight on my weary soul. I mourned. I grieved over the destruction sin is causing. I felt a tad bit of the pain God must feel. I also felt angry at Satan who causes so much devastation. 

When I could not pray words, the Holy Spirit prayed in my weakness and interpreted those groans. He helped when my feeble faith fumbled for words. He formed a deeper prayer of mourning than I could have come up with on my own. It started with God sharing His broken heart. With deep spiritual pains for a county and country spiraling out of control down the slippery slope of sin. God grieves over this stiff necked and stubborn country. What is even more sad, is how many once faithful followers of Jesus are enticed to fall away and cause pain for themselves and many others. It is gut wrenching. 

You may feel feeble today in your praying. Be encouraged the Holy Spirit helps you. You may be so heavy laden you cannot form words to pray. The Holy Spirit intercedes for you. He understands groaning petitions. 

  • What is it that really burdens your heart these days?
  • In what ways does the Holy Spirit help you pray when you are weak?
  • Do you have a groaning prayer to offer much deeper than words?
  • Take comfort that the Holy Spirit knows how to pray according to the will of God for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment