Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Camp Meeting Devotions - Day Fifty-One

 Philippians 2:14 (NASB)

14  Do all things without grumbling or disputing;

What is that makes you grumble? For me, it was my sons having a blow out on I-20 around 7:00 pm as they came home for the holiday weekend. We have spent thousands of dollars on car repairs lately. Not one single car we own has been spared. $500 here, $1,900 there, $150, $2,700. Tucker's car is in the shop as I write this. To hear the guys had a blow out was not great news. The fact that they were able to pull over safely was good news. They set about changing the tire. Soon we got another call. The car did not have all the tools necessary to take the damaged tired off. We bought the car used and never even thought about looking for those things. 

I got in the Yukon grumbling. Not at my sons. Just as the situation. Thankfully they were only eleven miles outside of town. It was still light outside when I arrived. The murmuring continued under my breath when we discovered the Yukon tire tool would not work on the lug nuts. I thought about that driving out there. Frustrating. 

We had to call for help. Embarrassing that three grown men did not have the necessary tools to change a tire. We all three set in the Yukon waiting. Tucker, who has always been the optimist,  commented, "Well Dad, you are getting to spend some quality time with your sons." We all laughed. He was right. 

What is it that causes you to grumble? What makes you complain? What types of things bring murmuring to your lips? I bet it is something. The economy. Rising grass prices. Escalating costs of groceries. Unruly kids whether yours or someone else's. The sermons at your church or the music. I am sure there is something. 

Why can't we see the sunny side of life even in the unpleasant circumstances. Tucker and Turner have amazed me. In high school Tucker tore his ACL in the same knee twice basically missing most of his high school athletic career. Turner tore his ACL in the same knee three times. Both were injured in their senior seasons. Turner joked with the doctor that he is a three-time all-star. 

Are we characterized by our negative attitudes and speech? Not only that, but do we want to dispute everything? To debate everyone. To constantly call everyone into question. Don't get me wrong. I love a good spirited debate. 

Several years ago I used gather with several people on Wednesday afternoons in the foyer to talk. Those talks ended up in debates. One of the men in those conversations loved to debate. He was a well educated teacher. I would challenge him on biblical views. I thought it was all in good fun. I found out later that he took offense at those conversations. Brenda gave me some great advice once, "Everybody does not need to know your opinion." So true. 

It does not honor God to always argue with people. Children with parents. Deacons with pastors. Employers with employees. Husbands with wives and wives with husbands. Neighbors with neighbors. Church members with church members. I am not saying there are not some things worth standing for. There are some things worth having difficult conversations about. 

Grumbling and disputing are not what we classify as big sins. We may not even think they are sins. May we prayerfully consider this short but powerful little verse and our response to it. 

  • Think about the last time you grumbled about something. Is grumbling a habit for you?
  • Do you argue with people extensively? What things are worth debating?
  • Do the words that habitually come out of your mouth honor God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment