Sunday, June 27, 2021

The Long Journey Home

 We pulled out of the camp parking lot at 6:15 a.m. for the long journey back to Weatherford, TX. I knew it would be long day. We drove across the states of Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and finally Texas to get home. We saw the sun come up on a bus and watched it go down again still on a bus. 

We watched some terrible movies to pass the time. Bored, I stared out the window or tried to sleep. I could not get into reading and did not have enough room to operate the laptop. The miles passed slowly. The thing that I kept focusing on was, that with every passing mile I was getting closer to a reunion with Brenda. 

The girls bus broke down 30 miles from the Texas state border. I had anxiously been looking for that lone star flag signaling we were nearing home. We had to wait over an hour to get it repaired and were fortunate it only took an hour. 

Finally, at 11:15 p.m. we rolled into the Northside Parking lot. It would be close to midnight when we actually got back home. We traveled about 18 hours that day in all, including stops for breakfast and a late lunch. I sure was glad to be back home. Looking back on it now, the long journey was worth to the reunion waiting on the other end. 

Brenda asked what I wanted to do on Saturday. My only comment was I just wanted to be with her doing anything she wanted. 

It strikes me that bus ride reminds me of our earthly pilgrimage. Christians are trying to get home. Home for a child of God ultimately is Heaven. On our paths there are some long hard stretches. There are obstacles to be overcome. There are setbacks we must tackle. Day by day over the course of a lifetime we are on the long journey to our eternal home. 

Thinking about that can help us press through the tough stretches. Just like thinking about getting to be with Brenda helped me on the long bus ride. Only when we get to Heaven, we will get to actually see Jesus. We will get to see the One who saved us by His grace. We will behold our King of Kings. We will gaze upon the Lamb of God. O what a day, what a glorious day that will be. 

The group Mercy Me sang a song titled, I Can Only Imagine. The song is about what it will be like when we first get to Heaven and our reaction. I have thought about that a lot. I think my first reaction will be to fall on my face and worship in gratitude. Just getting to be with Jesus and caught up in worship of Him will be enough. 

There are many sorrows, stumping of the toes, stumbles and sad tales on the way to Heaven. The Christian does not have a troubled and pain free journey. There are multiple battle scars. Many aches and pains in these temporary bodies as they age. There are some extremely joy filled moments like marriage and the birth of children and grandchildren. There are also some gut wrenching moments like divorce, death, and watching loved ones depart from the faith. 

It is not a journey for the faint of heart. It can be rewarding and challenging at the same time. It is important that we keep our minds focused on getting home. One day when the roll is called up yonder they will call the names of children of God who have been saved and sanctified through the blood of the Lamb. Those who have been washed in the blood will get home. The older I get the more I yearn for that home. 

We are somewhere on that long bus ride journey we call life. Young and old. Healthy and sick. Merry hearted or mourning. We are all on that long journey home. Soon and very soon we will get there and see our King Jesus. Press on. Don't lose heart now. Home could be just one heartbeat away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment