Wednesday, June 23, 2021

He Buried His Head on My Chest

 Tonight was powerful in worship. One of the other female sponsors felt burdened to come and pray in the chapel before the service. It was a privilege to join them. That set the tone for the whole service. 

Sam preached a gospel message. He shared his own testimony of a life in alcohol and drugs chasing the dream of being a professional musician. Eventually Jesus saved him when a guy invited him to a Christian fish fry. He followed that with attending a church service the next Sunday. He knew sin was killing him. He felt compelled to be saved but did not know how to do it. Nobody had told him. He knew if we waited to the end of the worship service, he could go up front and talk to the preacher about how to be saved. He did and trusted Jesus in that service. Now he is in full time ministry. 

He gave an invitation for people to be saved. He also extended an invitation for people who were wearing masks living one way in front of one group of people and a different way around pagan people to repent and give Jesus one hundred percent. Counselors went to the back of the room and waited for students to come and find us. I saw a couple of ours move toward other counselors. A young man approached me and asked if we could talk outside. 

I listened to his story. A story of wearing masks most of his life. He came in conviction that he needed to fully surrender to Jesus. He said he was saved. I believed him. I told him that he could fully surrender to Jesus right there. We stood outside the chapel next to an outdoor barbeque grill. I told him to take in that moment and remember that right there in that spot he was giving Jesus one hundred per cent. To never forget the location and commitment he was making. 

He bowed his head as I got ready to pray. I reached out and put my left hand on his right shoulder. I was not prepared for what happened next. He put his arms around me and buried his head on my chest. I felt the sincerity of his brokenness and desire to live for Jesus. When I finished praying, he wiped tears from his eyes and told me he needed to stay out there alone a little longer to pray. I believe he met with Jesus and rededicated his life. 

I saw similar scenes with dozens of other students all over the campground talking to counselors. I trust some were saved. Others were repentant and rededicated their lives. Much ministry took place tonight. By far it was the most powerful of the three evening worship services we have had thus far. 

I will long remember that precious ministry moment of that young man burying his head on my chest. It is all the more sweeter because that young man is one of my sons! Thank you Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment