Thursday, June 17, 2021

Red Feathered Messenger

Have you ever tried to get someone's attention repeatedly only to be ignored. Persistently you raised your voice a little louder. It is frustrating when you are ignored. I wonder if God ever feels that way. I wonder if He tries harder and harder to get our attention. 

In recent days, God has gone the extra mile to get my attention. I mean the way extra mile. 

 I busied myself in study lost in sermon preparation a week ago. A thud on the window startled me out of my meditations. I looked up surprised to find a cardinal sitting on the window ledge outside. For the next three days that cardinal either ran into the window or set on the ledge 98 times. Yes, I kept count. 

The following day the same thing happened and the day after. The number jumped up to 137 times and then 156. He came over 200 times and counting. At last count, 261 times that cardinal showed up on the window ledge in a week and a half. At random times I would hear a thud and look to find my red feathered friend looking in at me. 

I started asking God what He was trying to show me when the cardinal showed up several times on the first day. Days went by with nothing. Eventually I shared it with the congregation on a Wednesday night. Four different people researched the symbolic meanings of cardinals and relayed it back to me. 

Here are the top things I took away. First, it represents God's presence and peace in distressing or trying times. That meant a great deal to me. Previous to the cardinal showing up I had trouble sleeping. I could not turn my mind off. Hundreds of thoughts constantly whirling. Most of the thoughts/prayers were focused on Spring Creek and leading us through growing pains. The joy of the growth has been tempered by the many ministry voids we the growth has revealed. Needing teachers, volunteers, additional classes and ministries have been continually on my mind. Asking God for wisdom and trying to discern His unique vision for Spring Creek have been in the forefront of my thoughts for weeks. 

God used that cardinal to bring me peace. 

Another interpretation for the cardinal showing up repeatedly came to me from a lady saying it means company is coming. In my circumstance, I took that to mean that God is continually drawing people to Spring Creek. Each week we see new faces. The exciting thing is to see all the young children. We went through a long drought where there were very few children here. I love seeing their smiling faces and their raiding of the candy jar after the worship service. Company is coming indeed. Which could lead me to more stress. 

God has gone to great lengths to get my attention. To replace my stress with His peace. He has prepared Spring Creek for such a time as this. I cannot tell you what comfort that has brings to me. 

It is very interesting as I write this, it occurs to me the cardinal has not shown up one time today. That is the first time in several days. Maybe God has sent His red feathered messenger to some other tormented soul who needs to be reminded God is present and in control. I will long treasure the memories of my red feathered messenger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment