Tuesday, June 29, 2021

SHMILY

 I remember getting a haircut on this day 30 years ago. Funny the little things you remember. I still remember that little shop in Fort Worth off University Drive. All these years later I went and got my hair cut today. I keep it a lot shorter than I did way back then. Why would I remember a hair cut 30 years ago. 

30 years ago I recall the lady cutting my hair asking me, "What do you have planned for the rest of the day?" She snapped to attention when I replied, "I'm getting married today." She manicured my hair with the utmost care. Excitedly I talked about Brenda and our upcoming marriage. 

It is strange when I look back on it. All my groomsman left my little duplex earlier leaving me all alone. I ate breakfast alone. I got my hair cut alone. I waited to drive over to the church alone. I made my way from Fort Worth across town to the FBC of Hurst. I dressed in my tuxedo which I failed to try on beforehand. The pants were too short. I didn't care. Brenda was soon to become my wife. 

The bridesmaids and groomsmen took a few pictures before the ceremony. I laughed with my buddies. I saw students and their parents from Spring Creek Baptist Church in attendance, where I recently had been called to serve as student pastor. How blessed am I that 30 years later I am not the pastor of Spring Creek Baptist Church having the time of my life.

Then the ceremony began. The groomsmen and bridesmaids walked in arm in arm. There were Brenda's friends and her sister. There were my college buddies and a mentor. I stood at the center down front when the preacher asked everyone to rise. She walked through the doors in that white dress looking absolutely stunning. In that moment, the full weight of the covenant of marriage hit me. I knew then it was for real and forever. There would be no breakups. No divorce. I had lost her for over a year during our senior year of college. God graciously brought her back to me. I could not take my eyes off her as she walked down the aisle with her father. We joined hands and her radiant smile captivated me as it still does 30 years later.  A friend sang the song Virtuous Woman while strumming the chords of his guitar. That moment is deeply etched in my memory. There were other songs, the preachers said their pieces, we partook of communion together and then we exchanged vows. We opted for the traditional wedding vows. Till death do us part. 

When I think back on that day 30 years ago I remember staring deeply into her milk chocolate eyes. I forgot about all else and all the people in attendance. It was just she and I standing before God uniting our hearts and lives in covenant marriage. Eventually the preacher pronounced us man and wife and told me I could kiss my bride. I dove in unreservedly while she felt embarrassed. She has never been one wanting to be in the spotlight. I am sure she hated being the center of attention that day. I radiated like a shooting star because of her. I was am still am a big old lump of clay. She is a radiant diamond. 

In these past 30 years, we have laughed a lot, cried some, rejoiced to see numerous people saved, been caught up in genuine revival, had our hearts broken, been blessed over and over again through loving generous people, and had our quiver filled with four sons who are now grown men. 

Brenda has believed in me when I did not believe in myself. She still tells me I am a great preacher, though I do not believe it. She did not give up when church after church turned us down when we needed a new place to serve. She waited patiently with me until God opened that door. She prayed with me through the long dark night of my soul. She has put up with teasing, fits of anger, stubborn pride, bouts with depression, and youthful zeal and passion. 

That brown haired brown eyed beauty stole my heart back on the campus of Howard Payne University. Until I met her, I never knew a girl could be so beautiful and love Jesus so much. When she told me about her salvation and devotion, I fell head over heels. I an still there today. 

We still walk hand in hand in public. We still flirt with each other. We leave little notes with the letters SHMILY all over the place. They are placed in drawers, on mirrors, in shoes, on steering wheels, inside pockets and on her coffee maker. That stands for "see how much I love you." I noticed recently there are still some hanging around the house. I love her more than I can put into words. 

Even as I write this, I am preparing to go home to see my brown haired and brown eyed beauty for another date night after we get off work. Just the two of us. I rise up today and call Brenda blessed. She is a virtuous woman. She is my dream girl. I thank God she is my girl. My best friend. My soul mate. My help mate. My confidante. My closest companion. My wife. My ministry partner. Her gifts and temperate compliment me. She is God's best for me. I treasure her more today than I did on this day 30 years ago. 

Her children rise up and bless her, her husband also, and he praises her saying, "Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all."  Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment