Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Triumphant Faith

 I just closed the last page of the last chapter of a biography of one of my all time heroes of the faith. George Muller knew more about prayer and living by faith than I ever will. His trust in God to house, feed, and clothe over 10,000 orphans, without ever appealing to anyone for help, is inspiring. Muller triumphed in faith repeatedly. 

I sit here this afternoon taking it all in. All that Muller believed God for. All that God did in response to faith filled triumphant praying. The many hours of solitary petitioning God for help. The miracles abounded. What I love just as much, is the kingdom of God got expanded. He reported when he first came to his church at Bethesda in Bristol, there were only seven of them. At the end, God added 6,000, most through conversion. Hallelujah. 

It makes me shake my head. I have faith stories to tell. Most of them about ways God has provided for my family. Sadly, I do not have many triumphant faith stories to share about how God saved the lost, grew His church or expanded missions. 

Triumphant faith. A phrase the author used repeatedly in the book. No matter the size of the trial or the severity, Muller believed God and saw God triumph in response to faith. 

Muller showed tangible proof of his faith and the countless prayers he lifted to His Father. Orphan houses all built through praying for God's provision. Thousands of orphans rescued, introduced to Jesus and trained to become follower of Jesus and good citizens. He also made over a dozen preaching tours around the world at ages when most people retire. 

Muller is one of my all time heroes. Maybe my all time hero. It dawns on me as I write this, I pray to the same God he did. His call was much different than mine. Yet, we all can live in triumphant faith. Muller faced trials. Many of them. He faced financial crisis after financial crisis. He faced them all in triumphant faith. The same God who helped him can also help us.  I know it is possible for us to do the same triumphing in faith. 

I long for the day when the evidence of my faith will be much more than cars, furniture and other material blessings. I long for the day when there are souls saved, a church revived and in dynamic ways impacting the community and where other churches are planted. That would be triumphant faith for me. 

Let us pray on. May we press on. Let us be exhorted to persist on in triumphant faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment