Tuesday, December 8, 2020

180

 180 is half a full circle. If you did a 180 in a car, you would make a U-turn. 180 is also a move on a skateboard or bike. It is the name we have adopted for the skater outreach ministry. We long to see people do a complete 180 as they trust Jesus as their Savior and he transforms their lives. 

There was one guy on a bmx bike last night doing stunts when I arrived. I sat watching fascinated and praying about how I could engage this guy in conversation. He hardly ever stopped. He did wheelies, jumps, rode backwards, grinds down poles and did jumps where he did a 180 in the air. After awhile, I noticed he did not have breaks. He used the soles of shoes to slow and stop the bike. 

When he paused for rest, I knew I had to go for it then. I approached him asking him questions about his bike. I wondered what kept the rims from bending, why the seat was so low, why the bike had no breaks and so forth. Let's say Don, not his real name, proved quite eager to talk about his bike. Passion splashed out of him. Soon he opened up about wrecks and injuries he has suffered. He went on to tell me about great places to ride in other times with super high jumps. 

Then I asked him, "Are you cool with Jesus?" Don assured me and told me where he and his wife attended church before the pandemic. I could not believe Don had a wife. I asked his age and he replied 22. They have not even been married a full year yet. 

We have gone to this park for a month now. More than half the people we have met are out of high school. I find that interesting. Yet these guys still come to the park to ride boards and bikes. I see a culture of community among them. Something the church could learn a few lessons from these skaters and bmxers. 

Soon the rest of the team arrived armed with tacos. Don did not want any and told he was about to leave. I found pleasure in meeting him and watching him and told him so. Before he left, I just had to ask, "Do you know where you will spend eternity at the end of your life." Don answered, "With the Lord." I pressed gently, "Why do you say that?" The question stumped him. I went on to explain what Jesus did for him and the way of salvation. Don told me he had been saved but never baptized. 

I asked how I could pray for him and gave him one of our prayer cards. What a pleasant young man. Unpretentious. Humble. Respectful. Tolerant of some old people on his turf. Very polite. We invited him back next Monday and told him to bring his wife.. No one else came to skate or ride a bike. In a month of showing up, not one time have we seen the same person twice. I am beginning to wonder if the word is out that we will be there and that is keeping people away. It could also be the weather turning colder. We got chilled to the bone for the second week in a row. 

We did pawn some tacos on a couple of dads and a girls soccer team. The guy I talked to had a church home, though he rarely attends due to chasing his daughter playing soccer every weekend. 

We secured the skateboard we are giving away on December 20th at 2:00 p.m. We will bring some finger foods and do drawings for a few gift cards and then the Santa Cruz skateboard. It looks really sharp to me, but I'm no skate expert. 

I have learned three things in the skater world thus far. They are willing to talk. With only a couple of exceptions, the people we encounter are willing to converse with us. The other thing I've learned is how open they are. Like open books they share a lot from their lives both good and bad. More than one has a pretty serious criminal record. They don't try to hide it. They are not pretentious. They listen to gospel presentations, but the ones we have talked to have not responded. They are polite but also not interested in committing their lives to Jesus. 

I know we have to earn our way with them. We have to build trust. To find ways to meet their needs. To love them where they are. To love them to Jesus. Whether through pizzas or tacos, blowing off their concrete ridding of leaves and acorns, giving away gift cards or a skateboard we trust in God's time they will see our intentions and that we are for them. 

I love getting to talk to them about Jesus and the way of salvation. It is not a high pressured approach. It is planting seeds and waiting for the harvest. I know one day someone is going to do a spiritual 180 and turn their heart and life toward Jesus. For that reason we keep showing up and waiting on God to work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment