Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Rat Race

From my office this morning, I heard the rush of cars driving by. I imagined men and women off to the rat race of work. I pictured men donning jeans and boots and some suits and ties. I could see women wearing dresses, paint suits, and surgical scrubs all headed into the rat race we call life.

Filled with activity. Constant motion. For younger families it does not end when the work day is over. Then they chase their children in all their extra curricular activities. Most likely, they will pick up something for dinner, make sure homework is completed, do a few chores around the house before falling into bed exhausted. The following day it starts all over again.

That was not my experience this morning. I stole away to spend some time with God. While others rushed off to work, I sat before my King in tranquility, peace, isolation and contentment. I thought of those rushing by wondering about the condition of their souls. Do they even think about matters of eternity.

People are used to living in constant motion. There is little to no time for reflection, meditation, pondering, praying or properly aligning with the Prince of Peace. One of the result,s is living in constant stress. This takes a toll on the family dynamic. It also takes a toll on people's health with things like high blood pressure, insomnia and headaches.

Slowing down is a good thing at some point. Maintaining a quiet time is vital to maintaining a thriving relationship with Jesus. Finding some solitude, tranquility and time to attend to the soul is a vital strategy to surviving and reshaping your rat race life.

You can start by reflecting on the 23rd Psalm. Many love this scripture, but have seldom slowed down to really reflect on it. Especially the first three verses.  Do so today and maybe the cadence of your soul with look less like a mad dash, and more like a casual stroll with your King Jesus.

Psalm 23:1-6 (ESV)
1
 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2  He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters.

3  He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

5  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

6  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment