Monday, February 24, 2020

I Forgot My Notes

My nightmares always revolve around not being able to find my Bible when it is time to preach, or not being prepared to preach. Sometimes they include not being able to locate my notes. My nightmare came true Sunday morning. I sat my notes on my desk after looking over them. I went to teach a class noticing at the end I needed to get my notes.

In between class, our Pastor's Prayer Partners meeting and getting wired up, I totally forgot about the notes left on my desk. That is until I stood behind the pulpit. I wondered what to do. Should I revert back to some message I had preached in the past, or should I go ahead without the notes. I felt impressed to preach without the notes. Most of that message is a blur. God showed up and helped this stammering preacher again. It goes to show it is God doing the work through the preaching or teaching. It is God moving in hearts. It is God revealing truth. It is God working.

I stood amazed as multiple people came forward to the altar kneeling to pray. That has not happened in months here. All glory to God. He is not needful or limited by my studying or lack of studying. He is not bound by notes on a page. He is God. He can overcome notes on a page left on a desk. He is perfectly able to communicate His truth through whomever He chooses. He once used a donkey. I have no room to boast. It is Him doing the work. It has always been Him doing the work. Not something I take for granted.

I thank Him for revealing truth when I study. I thank Him for welling up passion for His truth in me. I thank Him for strength and zeal to deliver the message. I thank Him for using His word to comfort, convict, inspire and inform. I am humbled He chose me to declare the wonders of His glorious word to listeners. I am thankful He works even when I forget my notes. It is not about me. I dare not preach for pats on the back. I abhor fishing for compliments. I repulse that I, or any preacher, would ever preach for self glorification.

It is not about us. It is about Him. It is about His word. It is about His truth infiltrating hearts and minds leading many to repentance and a closer walk with Yahweh.

Thank You God for helping this stammering prophet. Thank You for opening the flood gates of revelation and inspiration Your people. Thank You for flooding the altar with those seeking You. Thank You for this calling to be a preacher of the gospel and Your Holy Word. All glory to You. Especially when I forget my notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment