Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Listening

I got to the office early today to pray. I paused to listen after awhile. I reclined in the office chair and concentrate on God's leadership. At first, I could only hear the cars driving past. Then, I heard another sound. Softly at first. I tuned my hears to the sound of a bird chirping outside. I did not even notice that sound when I arrived. I listened closer, and made out the distinct sound of a different bird with an entirely different chirp. Later, I noticed a third species larking away.

God gave us a unique brain. We were blessed with the Reticular Activating System. This system allows us to do three things when we hear something. We can tune our ears to notice and emphasize  certain sounds over others. Like a mother with a newborn baby. Likewise, we can filter out certain sounds like living near train tracks or an airport. We can also individualize our perception of certain sounds differently than other might hear.

If we focused on it, we could learn to distinguish the many different species of birds all around us. We could so tune in to those different kinds of chirping that we could block out other sounds.

Listening is a learned skill. The next time you hear music really listen. Listen for the base sound, the guitar, piano, drums, and if there are any horns or woodwinds in the music. Learn to listen for the different instruments that make up the music. If is a group of singers, listen for the harmony sounds.

While listening with our ears is a good thing, that is not what is own my mind today. My thoughts turn to learning to listen to God's voice. I am not referring to an audible voice. I am referencing to His voice through the impressions of the Holy Spirit.

Dr. Henry Blackaby states repeatedly in his best selling Bible study, Experiencing God, that God speaks through various means. He speaks through the Bible, the Holy Spirit, circumstances and other people. We should work at listening to God speak. Dr. Blackaby also points out two things were true of people who heard God speak in the Bible. They knew it was God who spoke. They knew exactly what God said and wanted them to do.

I spent two hours today just listening for God to speak. I read scripture. I visited the prayer room twice to hear a fresh word from the Lord. I left disappointed both times. I specifically went to the prayer room to isolate myself from any distractions like phones, computers and traffic on the highway.

I am more determined to listen to God than at any other point in my life. I'm reading a book by Peter Lord titled, Hearing God. I have other books in line after that one titled, Hearing God by Dallas Willard and Whisper by Mark Batterson.

I desire nothing more in life over  seeking God to know Him and  hearing from Him. I desire those things more than what He can do for me or what He can give me. He is the ultimate prize I seek. Hearing Him communicate is my highest priority. I trust He will develop in me the art of listening well. Won't you trust God for the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment