Friday, November 8, 2019

Praying Prayers Worthy Of God

So much of my life is centered around praying. It feels like I am praying, preaching about prayer or writing about prayer much of the time. Recently, I meditated on praying prayers that are worthy of God. Let me explain.

Reading through the Psalms I saw passage after passage about the greatness of God. I prayed through several of those passages and meditated on them. How great is God? He opened my eyes to see new revelations of how powerful He really is. It dawned on me how I often pray such wimpy prayers. Prayers like God is a miser begrudgingly having blessings and miracles pried from His stingy hands.

That is not God. He is presented in scripture as a loving Father. What loving Father does not delight to meet the needs of his children. It blesses Him to bless them. He is happy to provide for their needs. What about our Heavenly Father. Earthly fathers give out of their limited resources. God the Father gives out of His never ending supply. He wants to be asked, trusted and to bless His children in their needs. Do we pray that way?

I also meditated on the truth that God has never ever been challenged by an impossible situation. Let that sink in. No matter how hard it has been for you to ask God to move a seemingly immovable mountain, it was not hard for Him. He just has to will it to happen and just speak the word and the miracle can come. The Bible is filled with stories of people who encountered such things. So are the pages of history if you read the right people. What about modernity? Can God really be expected to do the impossible? Can He really be trusted in the most trying situations? Is He still powerful to move mountains for His followers? Yes and a thousand times yes. We should pray like we believe it.

If I were to tell you some of the things I am asking and believing God for, you would think I am crazy. You will laugh at me and dismiss me as a wishful dreamer. I wish I could put them in writing. Very specific things. Big things. No, HUGE things. Some spiritual. Some physical in nature. All for the glory of God. I cannot write them about them now, so that nobody will be able to say I dropped hints and manipulated people into meeting those needs. I am all out to show what God can do through prayer.

I have been able to share a few of those with trusted friends and prayer partners. One such friend laughed me off today. I looked in the eye and said, "You will not be laughing when God comes through. He will answer and I will get to brag on Him." My friend responded, "I have doubted before and you proved me wrong." He got that wrong. God proved Him wrong.

Let me ask you a series of questions. Is God able to supernaturally provide you with $15? Most of you will say yes without hesitation. Is God able to provide you with $150,000? I bet you hesitated. If you had a real need for the latter, is that any harder for God than the former? We say we believe God is big and powerful and yet pray like He is weak and impotent. Can God tangibly meet a physical need in your life nobody knows about but you and Him? If you believe He knows everything and is all powerful, why would you not say absolutely. Our faith must increase to believe He can provide.

For Elijah, He provided through ravens who brought him food and a widow who sacrificed to provide for Him. Both were miracles. God commanded both the fowl and the widow to meet needs in Elijah's life. Do you believe God owns everything and can use anyone from anywhere to help you in your time of need? Can He do that with tires, televisions, beds, food, gas, mechanical repairs and paying off debts? You bet He can.

Is God a promise keeper or a promise breaker? He is a promise keeper and a promise from Him is like money in the bank. You can count on Him. It is His nature to be faithful. He can't be anything other than that. We need to pray prayers that show we really believe God is trustworthy and great.


No comments:

Post a Comment