Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Alone With My Father

Father, 

Like so many other times, it is just the two of us meeting early before the day dawns. The joy we share in these meetings is something I cherish. Thank you for waking me early just to meet with You. In these times, our communion is the greatest desire and delight of my life. I praise You for these early morning encounters. 

I never know how You will lead in these times. I anticipate that You will come and meet with me. I fully expect You will take Your word and fill my heart and mind with Your truth. I expect to hear from You out of the sacred pages of Your word. 

I think of my family scattered across this big state. Me in south Texas. Brenda and Turner sleeping in Runaway Bay and the three oldest sons all in Plainview preparing for their last football game. I ask You to watch over them and to protect them. I ask You to bend each of their hearts toward You. May their hunger for You compel them to have their own quiet times. 

I lift up the Spring Creek flock to you. You know the ailments of those suffering ill health. You also know the private pains many carry. I ask You minister to each one. You know how to do that far better than me. 

I ask You to deepen my desire for You. Not just for what You can do for me or give me. I want more of You. More of Your presence. More revelation of who You are. More fresh words to guide me. There is nothing I desire on earth more than You. You satisfy the scorched places in my soul. You satisfy my innermost carvings. You fulfill my deepest longings. 

I bow to say I love You. You deserve all my affection and devotion. You deserve all my service. There is none like You. If I seek You earnestly for the next three decades with all my might, I still will not discover all there is to know about You. I am on a relentless pursuit to discover more and more. I do not tire in this pursuit, but am driven to learn more of You. 

I ask You to wake me early all the days of my life. I ask You to fuel a fire in me that cannot be ignited any other way except meeting and encountering You. I ask You to conquer the desire for more and more sleep. I know You created humans so we have to sleep just to remind us we do not have Your unlimited supply of strength and power. I do not want to be like the sluggard who loves sleep. I trust You for just what I need and let me devote more time to seeking and serving You. 

Thank You for these early morning encounters when it is just the two of us. When the world slumbers and there are no distractions. When we sit together for long talks. So far I have done all the talking. Now it time for me to listen. Please speak for Your servant is listening......

No comments:

Post a Comment