Monday, April 15, 2024

The Miraculous Pen

 I really like old fashioned Bic ball point pens with the clear casing so you can see the ink levels. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment to completely drain one of those pens dry. I use them to write in my journals and I still handwrite my sermons and Bible studies. I find handwriting those sermons and studies helps me to remember them better than typing. 

Over the course of several weeks, I could see the depleting ink levels in my pen. The day eventually came when I could not see any ink left and yet the pen kept writing. Each day I thought would be the last day. The pen kept writing day after day. No visible sign of ink and yet the ink kept flowing and writing. Days turned into a week. One week turned into two weeks. Each day I picked the pen up to write and found mor ink flowing onto the printed page. This fascinated me. The life of the pen extended far longer than expected. 

I determined to keep using that pen until it bled dry. There are days when I write a couple of pages of prayers in my journal. There are other days when it might be four pages or more. Like clockwork, that pen kept doing its job. The ink kept flowing and yet I could not see any visible sign of ink still left in the pen. I questioned how I could still write with it. I marveled at this little wonder. 

It finally happened yesterday morning midsentence. I wrote out a prayer before a busy day of worship. Suddenly I noticed the ink fading and then it quit flowing altogether. I kept thinking the whole time that pen kept flowing that I would write about this incident. I get it. In the bigger scheme of life this little miraculous pen is NOT a big deal. What possible lesson can we take from it? It is almost comical the random things, places, adn experiences that God uses to inspire these writings. Today it was simple, cheap, plastic pen. 

That pen was created for one purpose. To write something for someone. I am guessing that the manufacturer of that little Bic pen had no idea it would end up in the hands of this pastor and scribe. I also am sure the person in the factory never dreamed this little pen would last longer than thought possible. The person assembling the pen had no idea that on this day I would be writing about them even though I do not know their name. That pen lifted up lofty prayers, fueled faith to move mountains, cried out to God for direction, and captured inspiration for sermons and Bible studies. 

That factory worker probably went to work thinking their life and work really did not have much significance. I am sure assembling those pens is a monotonous job with low wages. That person touched eternity by assembling that pen and they are most likely not even aware of it. Putting the ink container inside the plastic casing and capping the top is not a high end yield job. Today I am thankful for that person. Because that person showed up for work faithfully, did his or her job, it helped me to do their job. They helped me to capture moments in time on a printed page. They helped me jot down the revelation of God to be shared with congregants in my little corner of the world in Weatherford, TX. 

The person who packaged it also touched eternity as the pens were packaged and boxed to be shipped. Probably not an exciting job offering a bright future of promotions. It is a job that needed to be done. Someone showed up for work to get that little pen in a package with nine others just like it. That plastic package was then boxed along with other packages to be shipped all over the world. I am thankful that man or woman showed up for work so that one day I could do my work. 

 The truckdriver who delivered that pen to the retail store had no idea their work on that day would transpire time and space in getting that box to its final destination. They delivered more than just a box of pens. They delivered a tool of my trade. A sword in my hand to try and make a kingdom impact. Miles were driven away from family and friends to do a thankless job that I am thankful for today. 

Then there was the person who uncrated the pens and put them on the salesfloor to be purchased. A pretty thankless job by most accounts. Putting that pen on the shelf helped touched the souls of people who were saved over the past several weeks when I jotted down notes on a tablet and in the margins of my Bible. Souls were saved because that person did their job faithfully. They have no idea how their simple task of putting that box of pens on the shelf rippled through eternity.

 Finally, there was the person working the cash register. Yes, I still wait in line for a real cashier. I avoid self-checkout. I want to interact with a real person. That real person took my payment and helped me to legally secure the box of 10 Bic pens with blue ink. I was just one of dozens of customers that day purchasing random items. Did that person even contemplate that sale would have profound implications beyond the physical realm? Probably not. Just a person scanning bar codes and taking payment without any thought that little purchase would change lives. 

Each one of those people played a vital part in getting that little miraculous pen into my hands. By all accounts, it is just a common ordinary cheap Bic pen. Through the power of the Holy Spirit that pen became a mighty weapon in my hands. Like someone once said, "The pen is mightier than the sword." There are pages and pages of ink-stained prayers that still linger in the ears and sight of God. Only Heaven can record what the final outcome of those prayers will be recorded in the chronicles of eternity and in simple spiral notebooks that serve as journals. 

Who would have ever thought such a simple thing as a pen could make such a big difference? It is just like God to use ordinary vessels to do extraordinary things. I must confess that I would never even have noticed that pen if it had not kept flowing long after the ink was no longer visible. I would have just discarded it and reached for a new one. 

I don't know why, but I did not throw that pen in the wastebasket. I set in my desk drawer along with dozens of other assorted pens I have collected through the years. I still go back to those plastic Bic ball point blue ink pens over the rest time and time again. I might just hang onto that empty pen as a reminder. A reminder that God can use simple things to accomplish difficult tasks. God can use ordinary vessels to accomplish extraordinary things for Him. 

That is just like me. I'm just a guy from deep east Texas raised among the towering Pine trees. I was an average student. A slightly above average football player, and a below average preacher and writer on my best day. One thing that sets me apart from the others is that I try to give God my all down to the last drop just like that pen. He has opened doors I could never have opened for myself. He has worked in me and through me to preach the gospel to thousands of people and has been pleased to save many over the past three decades. He has inspired me to write thousands of the blogs and a handful of books. I am just an ordinary vessel. One that wants to serve my King down to the last drop just like that miraculous pen. I hope that is your desire as well. 

Maybe you feel like your life and job do not matter. In God's hands, your life has purpose far beyond what you know. Whether you are assembling pens or writing your signature on a document worth millions of dollars, your life has divine design. You were created with purpose. You never know how God might use your ordinary talents, on your ordinary job, on an ordinary day to touch eternity. 

The next time you feel like your life does not matter I hope you will remember that little pen, its usefulness and all the people who played a part in getting it into my hands to inspire this blog that at the touch of a button will be read around the world from Weatherford, TX to as far as Hong Kong. To God be the glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment