Monday, April 1, 2024

Hallelujah Hands

 I had the privilege of baptizing five people yesterday on Resurrection Sunday. It does not get any better than that unless you are baptizing more than five. I went back today and watched the end of the service on video to see the baptisms. One by one each was plunged underneath the water. The church yelled and clapped in celebration. It fired me up. 

The very last person was the lady who has cut my hair for the past three years. She does a fantastic job. Three years ago she had much more to work with as I had more hair. As my hair started receding more I decided to take action. I was not about to be one of those men who grow their hair long on top and part it down the side flopping the rest over to cover up baldness. I am an official member of the chrome dome fraternity. I have a little bald spot in the back and thinning hair on top. She cuts it short. Down to the skin on the sides and back. She is an expert in her field. 

She thanked me recently for asking her one day where she would spend eternity sitting in her chair. That led to further discussions, a visit to the church, and eventually a phone call for a visit that ended with Jesus saving her. She works most Sundays and was not able to follow through with baptism until yesterday. She was the last person to be baptized. She was a little nervous but also excited. 

I chuckled when she came up and wiped the water from her face. She turned to go up the steps and then lifted both hands up in a little hallelujah rejoicing moment. I did not see that yesterday. It blessed my heart today. I had to text her and tell her I loved that spontaneous praise. 

Why not celebrate for all Jesus has done and is doing in her life. Why not all of us celebrate for Jesus dying on the cross, rising from the dead, pursuing our hearts, saving us, and helping with the journey of life. Surely all of that deserves hallelujah hands lifted high. I am not writing about something contrived, forced, manipulated, or even done for attention. I am taking about the praise and adoration of God filtering from heads to our souls and then through our arms into our hands. A little hallelujah hands is good for the soul. 

Dennis Jernigan wrote a song once with this line in it, "With our hands lifted high to the sky and the world wonders why, we will tell them we are just loving our King." I love that. Soaking wet in the baptistry that lady just loved her King. She did not even know it, but she inspired me to write this and perhaps thousands will be inspired to worship and love their King also with hallelujah hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment