Tuesday, March 17, 2020

He Chose To Stay

Martin Luther stands as a giant in history. He was a reformer. A preacher. An author. A leader. A professor. Though he never held the title pastor, he definitely had a pastor's heart.

In 1527, the Bubonic Plague hit Wittenberg, Germany. Many fled the city in a panic. Martin Luther and his wife Khatarina chose to stay, despite the fact she was pregnant. They even had infected people reside in their home as they medically treated them.

Luther did not discount medical technology. He supported their expertise. He did not get in their way, but assisted them in treating patients. He and his wife did not live recklessly, but they did live fearlessly. They stayed. They showed the love and compassion of Jesus. They shared the gospel with dying people. They served as shepherds to the ailing.

Courageously they put themselves in harms way to help however they could. They did not judge the others who fled. In fact, they supported the decision to flee as long as some gospel witness remained. They felt they were gospel witnesses who should remain.

I awakened around 4:00 a.m. today agonizing in prayer about how to best shepherd the flock in these tumultuous times. Hysteria is rampant. Selfishness manifests itself in store after store. Hoarding food and toiletry items are not on my prayer concerns. I am more concerned about our flock. About our senior adults and making sure their needs are met, their safety is ensured and they are at peace in a world overflowing with fear. Those prayers have dominated the day.

I've cried out for wisdom to lead. I've pleaded for calmness and peace on those I get to serve. I believe for their protection. I am seeking for practical solutions on how to minister. I am praying through rearranging our priorities and emphasis to address this crisis.

In a world of fear, I know Jesus is still the answer. For the healthy. For the sick. For the scared. For the dying. For leaders. For medical professionals. For senior adults. For families.

I have long admired Martin Luther. In the last month, I bought two books about him. He is fascinating. Not perfect, but fearless. Courageous. No story I have ever read about him means more than the fact that he stayed at his and his wife's peril to lovingly minister to people in crisis. I also pray I can became that kind of pastor.

No comments:

Post a Comment