Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Forsaking Company To Keep Company

I love the long deceased pastor and author, A.W. Tozer. He once wrote, "Sometimes you have to forsake the company of men to keep company with God."

That could be easily misunderstood. One could argue that Tozer did not love people. Tozer loved people. He was a sort of recluse at times. He loved people. He just preferred seasons of solitude. This was not because he did not care about people. Tozer just loved God more.

He preferred to be shut alone with God in private prayer, worship and study. He preferred the company of God to any other living being. Time with God meant time alone secluded from other people. His preaching and writing reflect. Tozer was not an echo of other men. Tozer echoed God. He preferred God. He loved God. He talked to God and God talked to him.

I have been an early riser most of my life. I recall when my four sons were little. I would get up early to go in the living room and get in my recliner to have my time with God. Many times one of them would get up early. Instinctively they wanted to come and sit in my lap. I love my sons. Time with them has been a priority all the days of their lives. I hated it when they interrupted my times with God. It was not because I did not love my sons. I just loved God more. In time God solved that problem with getting me up earlier.

I am amazed how people fall down and worship at the shrine of family. Family takes precedent over everything including God. Family activities are of the highest priority. People will inconvenience themselves, rearrange schedules, make adjustments to accommodate others and work tirelessly to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time.

Does that happen with private devotions. Do people take their time with God so seriously they go to bed early at night so they can get up early to be alone with Him the next morning? Do people slip away from the crowds like Jesus did to spend time alone with the Father? Do people inconvenience themselves by getting up early or staying up late just to be alone with Him.

In all the years I preached youth camps my friends used to joke with me. At some point during the day I would disappear to my cabin to get focused and pray about the evening service. They used to call it going to get some solitude pie. We laughed but I would change that. No person is more important and more deserving of my full attention than God. My encounters with Him are the most important part of my day. Sometimes they happen earlier than other times. If I have to cut out several things, time alone with God is something not to be compromised. He is that important.

I recall hearing Don Miller teach on prayer. He used to hold prayer seminars. I first heard him in college. My hand nearly cramped from taking so many notes. I heard him again in his later years. He told us he had a standing appointment with God at 4:00 a.m. He went on to say it did not matter who came to visit. He politely excused himself to go to bed at a prescribed time so he could keep his appointment with God. It did not matter if he had children, grandchildren, friends or dignitaries. His time with God trumped all the rest.

I have to agree with Tozer. Sometimes you have to forsake the company of men to keep company with God. Keeping company with God is sorely missing in the modern church. The modern church does not like solitude, silence, waiting before the Lord, private worship, seclusion. Such things make people uncomfortable. Many prefer study groups, prayer groups, therapy groups, community groups. If you really want to know God, much of that discovery will take place alone in a private journey.  I'm thankful my office and secret place back home give me ample space to do that. I hope you find a spot to do the same. Forsaking company of others to keep company with God is more beneficial than we know.

Mark 1:35 (ESV)
35
 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.



No comments:

Post a Comment