Thursday, December 12, 2019

The School Of Arabia

Galatians 1:14-17 (ESV)
14  And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers.
15  But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace,
16  was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone;
17  nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.

What happened to Paul those three years in Arabia? We are not told. It was in the school of Arabia God trained, shaped, inspired with vision, bestowed boldness in the once persecutor of Jesus followers. I wish we had more detail on what God did in Paul's life during those three years.

I'm confident Paul got a better and more thorough education in that desert alone with God than preacher boys get with all their graduate degrees that money can buy. I am not against education. I did my fare share of time in academia. Paul got a first hand education with the Master of all masters. He truly got a Master's degree.

How is that some can go to school to train for ministry and come out filled with knowledge, but have hearts as hard and cold as stones. B.A. M.E. M.Div. M.A. D.D. Ph. D. All attainable degrees, but not one of them can ensure anointing. Not of them can kindle a fire deep in the soul. Not one of those degrees can make a person more passionate or bold. Only God can do those things.

Whatever Paul experienced in Arabia, we need more of it in the church today behind the pulpit. We need preachers with first hand knowledge of God, and not those who rely on second and third hand experiences they read in books or on the internet.

God, please take preachers back to Arabia to meet with You and to encounter You in profound ways. May the world see what You do in us in the secret place when we stand to proclaim Your word publicly. Take us back to Arabia. In Your name Jesus, amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, praise the Lord! A sister was just sharing the other day how the Spirit was speaking to her about bringing out those whom He's prepared in Arabia, to be raised up and used by the Lord for this new season. The Lord's voice is carrying throughout.

    ReplyDelete