Tuesday, December 31, 2019

It Was The Best Of Times And The Worst Of Times.

It has been stated that history really is His story, meaning God's story. As I write this we are officially 12 hours from 2019 fading completely into the pages of history. For some it has been a stellar year. For others, it has been a year to forget. Either way, 2019 will soon be history. It will be left in the rear view mirror of our minds.

As we come to the end of the year, many will reflect. On the TCM network, they have already shown the movie stars who died the past year. The only one I remember is Doris Day. People compile lists of the best of in 2019. Because the new year also signifies the end of a decade, lists are compiled for the decade as well.

Personally I like to reflect on the past year. I also take time to pray about the new year and where I will direct my energies. Often I set goals for the upcoming year for the church and myself. I don't make resolutions. I try to set tangible and achievable goals for the next twelve months.

Charles Dickens started his classic novel with these words, "It was the best of times and it was the worst of times." That defines how many feel about 2019. Along the way, some had some mountain top experiences. Others experienced the valley of the shadow of death. Some learned to be content in all circumstances. Others squared off against mountains they needed moved. Some learned to live in lack and others had abundance. 2019 was both the best and worst of years.

Some got married,and others got divorced. Some had new children, while others had to bury their children. Many came out with a clean bill of health, while others saw their health deteriorate. A good number started new jobs, and a few lost their jobs and are unemployed. There have been triumphs and setbacks, victories and defeats, successes and failures, joys and sorrows.

Through it all, God has been rock solid. Faithful [I Thess 5:24]. Our true north on the compass. A guiding light. A very present help in trouble. [Ps 46:1Arescuer in the day of trouble.] [Ps 50:15] Our refuge and strength. [Ps 46:1] Our peace that surpasses all understanding. [Phil 4:7] Our provider. [Phil 4:19] Our comforter. [Ps 23:4].

I cannot predict the future for 2020. Many will try. This is what I know confidently. God will be available and accessible in the upcoming year. He will be true to His word. He will forsake His children nor leave them. [Heb 13:5] In the best of times, and the worst of times, God will be the solid rock we can build our lives on. [Matt 7:24-29]

No comments:

Post a Comment