Thursday, April 25, 2019

Where To Go For Counsel

From time to time people need counsel. They face situations they do not know how to navigate. They must make crucial decisions they feel equipped to make. They need help in coping with the cruelties of life. From time to time most people need some form of counsel.

Many will find it in family. If you grew up in a health relationship with both parents they are often sought for counsel. This can be extended to grandparents as well. Some are so close to siblings they lean on them for advice. I first and foremost lean on my wife for human counsel. She is wise and perceptive. I value her counsel above others.

Trusted friends are another great place to get counsel. I have a few men in my life I trust with life's most pressing situations. I am quick to lean on what they have to say. All my trusted friends are followers of Jesus and speak with a wisdom not of their own. They love God and they love me. I value their wisdom.

Certain situations may require professional counseling such as mental health issues. Some events are so traumatic that only trained counselors can help a person find their way to mental health.

I left the most obvious for last.The first and best place to get good counsel is God. I seek Him first and most often above all others. He has the power to override every other voice. He offers that counsel in a variety of ways. Primarily He does it through His Word. In recent days reading through Deuteronomy the phrase "possess the land" really grabbed me. Multiple times that phrase stopped me in my tracks. I am not sure what it means ad how God wants me to apply that. I just know at this time He spoke that to me and I continue to pray for the proper application.

Of course God uses prayer. Many times people find comfort from God when praying. Burdens are laid down and lifted from weary shoulders. Many times God impresses a directive when praying. Prayer and Scripture reading go hand in hand. God speaks through His Word. We pray through His Word and according to His will for solutions and breakthroughs.

God is the ultimate Counselor. He is omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. No other counselor can say that no matter how much they love you or how much education they have attained. God knows best. He is faithful and has earned the right to be trusted. He stands triumphantly without equal.

God also uses people. He can speak through others. Over the years I have sought God's counsel talking to pastors, preachers, teaches, coaches, mentors, peers, friends, MY WIFE AND EVEN MY SONS. There is wisdom to be found in a multitude of counselors as long as all those are seeking the greatest Counselor of all in God.

It never fails when I pray long enough, read enough scripture, seek the counsel of my wife and others that in due time God reveals what I am supposed to do. While many times I am in a hurry God rarely is. Yet His timing is perfect. So if you need some advice right now pray, read the word and talk to those you trust the most. I am confident God will help you know what to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment