Tuesday, April 16, 2019

As Iron Sharpens Iron

For many years I desired God to put an older pastor in my life to mentor me. My pastor back in Lufkin, TX did a great job of that as well as the man who led me to faith in Jesus. I still get wisdom from them both on occasion. I do not live near either and desired somebody close I could learn from.

God answered that prayer in a guy named Gary. Gary has been used mightily by God. He has been and continues to be a soul winner. He is a great leader. He is man of great wisdom. He knows the word of God. He is passionate. He has successfully pastored several churches God orchestrated our meeting and a bond was built.

He immediately challenged me to memorize scripture. He holds me accountable to it even going back to verses I've already learned as a refresher. Today I had to quote close to a dozen verses to him. He encourages me. He sharpens me. He counsels me. He loves and prays for me and my family. He even called today after we met for couple of hours to tell me that I encourage him when we meet.

Gary is the kind of guy who speaks the truth boldly. Though he is always kind, he does not pull punches. He says what needs to be said and I need that in my life. I need his accountability. I also need to learn and he is a most willing teacher.

We never meet that I do not leave encouraged and inspired to believe God for more. I'm thankful for Gary. He is a blessing to me and many others. Gary is a man constantly giving his life away.. I am blessed to be a recipient of his ministry. He sharpens me like a knife blade on a whet stone. I am better for the time I spend with him.

Do you have someone like that in your life? Someone who pushes you closer to God? Someone who challenges to step up your walk with God? I hope you do. You will benefit for years to come.

Proverbs 27:17 (NKJV)
17  As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment