Saturday, April 20, 2019

A Job Well Done

Have you ever worked hard at something? I mean the toil caused your muscles to ache and the task pushed you to your physical and mental limits? I certainly have. I recall several jobs I had as a young man. Hauling hay. Mowing yards. Cutting down dead trees. Working in construction.

I also recall tasks that were not hard physically but mentally like writing papers, taking tests while in school. There were times I did not see how I would ever finish those assignments. It was just one step at a time. Now I look back with satisfaction that God enabled me to finish.

There is a sense of satisfaction when you work hard at something and put your whole heart into it. There is a feeling of knowing you gave your best and you did your work well. That is what we are supposed to do all the time as followers of Jesus. We are supposed to do our work as a reflection of Him.

1 Corinthians 10:31 (NKJV)
31  Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Colossians 3:17 (NKJV) 
17  And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. 

Colossians 3:23 (NKJV) 
23  And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, 

This mens giving God your best efforts whether you are washing dishes, sweeping the floor, cleaning toilets, putting in eight hours on your job, as a student, athlete, spouse, parent, teaching a class of small children of just one or two, raking leaves or anything else. God expects our best. Everything we do should be done for His glory. 

I teach a small Sunday school class. Many times there are only two teens and Brenda. God still expects I give my best for Him and for that small class. 

Maybe you have a small assignment. A job that is not glamourous nor does it pay very well. Maybe you work for unappreciative bosses. Maybe your work often goes unnoticed and unrewarded. As a follower of Jesus you still have responsibility to give your best and do your job well. You are doing it as unto to the Lord. 

Many years ago Brenda and I started a church in our house at 4128 Evans Gann Rd in Hudson, TX. Every Sunday morning we would get up early and rearrange furniture in our living room and set out folding chairs converting that living room into a small house of worship. Attendance fluctuated like many new churches experience. Somedays we had dozens. Other days we had much less. 

Then came a week when people told us they would all be out of town for one reason or another. All except one lady and her two boys. While I preached or taught Brenda would take the children in our bedroom and teach them. Sometimes up to 11 of them. 

When we knew that possibly only this one lady with her two boys might show up my heart sunk. I actually hoped she might not show up that Sunday. She did! Happy as a lark with her two boys in tow. Like each other week the two boys gathered with ours back in our bedroom with Brenda. Then it was just the two of us in the living room. What did I do? 

It was more than awkward. I felt low. Lower than a snake's belly slithering on the ground. By the grace of God I did the only thing I knew to do. I taught that one lady the Bible. Just like if the room was full. Obviously I did not stand up.  did not yell. I sat down to reach. We discussed truth back and forth. I sat in my recliner. She sat on the loveseat. Even with just one I fed her the word of God. I gave my best. 

The next week things went back to normal. I think about that congregation of one many times when I get discouraged. When the attendance is low. When you invite people to come and they do not show up. No matter the attendance I am to give God my best. 

What is it in your life that you are tempted to give half effort? What job is before you ushering dread into your mind? What task would you prefer to give less than your best? I am sure there is something. 

All our sons are home. They are no longer boys. They are men. It is joyous time. Until after a busy day Brenda and I walked into a kitchen sink overflowing with dirty dishes piled high. Neither of us were happy. We had a meal to prepare but before doing so the dishes had to be done. Of all the household chores washing dishes is by far my least favorite especially when I did not dirty the dishes. 
Together Brenda and I attacked the pile. Before we knew it the sink emptied. A job well done. 

Turner and I cut a large patch of grass that had not been trimmed in years. The patch could not be mowed because of rocks so we cut it with weedeaters. Some of it was knee and nearly waist high. We guided our trimmers over large swaths and stayed at it. The job was so big I did not even allow myself to look up at the work still left to do. We both kept our heads down and worked. When I did look up once I lost heart at how much we had left to do. We both kept at it. Twice I ran out of string. It was a several hundred yard walk back to the truck for more. When I looked at how much we had left it has shrunk to a small patch. I used Turner's trimmer and completed the assignment. 

We both turned around and looked with satisfaction on a job well done. On a job done for the glory of God. On something we gave our best efforts to complete. 

Whatever you have to do I exhort you to do it as unto the Lord. I challenge you to do your work for the glory of God. Do your job well as an act of worship to King Jesus. He sees. No deed done until Him goes unnoticed. Press on weary people. Strive to do your job well for the glory of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment