Monday, April 22, 2019

Inquiry

In recently reading about the life of David I noticed several incidents where David inquired of the LORD about certain matters. In other words David consulted God before making major decisions. He asked and investigated God's mind on military matters.

1 Samuel 30:8 (NKJV)
8  So David inquired of the LORD, saying, "Shall I pursue this troop? Shall I overtake them?" And He answered him, "Pursue, for you shall surely overtake them and without fail recover all."

This is just one such incident. The backdrop of this story is that raiders came and captured David's wives and children along with his men's families. David consulted with the LORD before going after them. I don't think I would have done that. I would have asked God for help but I would not have inquired of Him whether I should pursue the raiders that kidnapped Brenda and our sons. I would have just assumed God wanted me to go after them. I bet you would have done the same. 

Before David did anything he sought the LORD's mind and will on the matter. David is described as a man after God's own heart. Does that describe us? Do we really seek His will on all matters of importance. 

And yet it appears David did not inquire of the LORD before marrying. At this point in David's life he had at least three wives. Michal the daughter of Saul with whom he was estranged since becoming a fugitive from her father King Saul. He wedded Ahinoam of Jezreel and Abigail the widow of Nabal. If when God brings two together in covenant marriage and the two become one flesh how can four become one flesh. Many people in the Bible practiced polygamy and dysfunction followed. For all the good David did one area he failed miserably was as a husband and father. 

How could David inquire of the LORD in some matters and not consult with Him on other matters of equal importance. And if three wives were not enough he committed adultery and hd someone murdered when the one night affair turned into an unplanned and unwanted pregnancy. Eventually he married Bathsheba also. What David  did with women Solomon did to excess having 1,000 wives and concubines. Eventually those wives turned Solomon's heart away from God. 

Here you have a man after God's own heart and the wisest man who ever lived and yet because they did not inquire of the LORD about matters with women they made foolish mistakes. I digress. 

Do you make it a practice to inquire of the LORD in matters? Is it important to you to consult with the LORD when facing decisions? It should be. 

Here is the other thing that strikes me. David inquired of the LORD. The LORD answered David in these matters. He gave His servant clear responses to David's inquiries. I find myself longing for that kind of relationship with God where I can not only seek Him but also hear from Him. 

God does not think like we think. He does not reason like we reason. Because of this it's all the more important to pause on the front end of decisions to inquire of the One with infinite wisdom, omniscience and the power to bring His will to pass. 

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NKJV) 
8  "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. 
9  "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. 

I don't know what decisions you face today. I have no understanding of what causes your mind to do mental gymnastics trying to make the right decision. The wisest thing you can do is pause on the front end of those decisions and inquire of the LORD. Then wait until He gives a clear answer before proceeding. It will save you a lot of misery and heartache. 

No comments:

Post a Comment