Monday, April 1, 2019

On Mission

Today marks a new day in my ministry. A day unlike any I have ever experienced before. God has put a large mission in front of me. A mission that requires more faith and effort than I am accustomed. A mission that definitely stretches me way out of my comfort zone. A biblical mission. A Great Commission.

God does that. He calls us to things way beyond our abilities and resources. Impossible things that will never be accomplished unless God does it. When He does those things He alone will get all glory.

Let me be honest. For much of my ministry I have been a coward. Many would not identify me that way. They might think I'm bold and courageous. God knows the truth. I have been a coward. He has called me to something that makes me summon raw courage to follow through. I am resolved to do what He has commanded.

I have prayed about it. I have heard His call clearly. I can't shake it. I can't dismiss it. I can't ignore it. Woe is me if I disobey it. God requires obedience. He demands me to follow through. He beckons me to follow Him into this next great adventure. He invites me to believe Him for a miracle. In fact, a series of miracles.

I am not at liberty to share what this new mission is. That is not the point. The point is God calls all of us to be on mission for Him. He calls all of us out of our comfort zones and to follow Him into great adventures. The Bible is filled with such stories. David's life was one adventure after the next. From shepherd boy to military champion. From legendary warrior to fugitive. From fugitive to revolutionary and eventually king. His adventures did not stop when he became a king. There were ups and downs. Through all of it David was a man after God's own heart. The Psalms are filled with his passionate desire to know God. David was a man on mission.

Paul was also a man on mission. He received very clear marching orders. Orders many of us would have shirked. Read them for yourself.

Acts 9:15-16 (NKJV)
15  But the Lord said to him, "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel.
16  For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake."

Would you want a mission from God that foreshadowed your suffering? Would you embrace that mission? Paul did. Paul lived on mission for Jesus. I love what Paul said about himself.

Acts 20:24 (NKJV)
24  But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

No matter how much Paul suffered he did not let that deter him from His God ordained mission. Paul testified to the gospel of God's grace to the very end of his days. He surely suffered for it. 

Let me point you to one more person on mission for Jesus. He is a coach. He is a passionate follower of Jesus. He preaches and makes Godly stands for Christ in the classroom, on the gridiron, in the weight room, in churches and in jail houses. He recently told me God told him years ago, "Take Me with you everywhere you go." He has done that. I have seen his influence on my son first hand. Hardly a day goes by that Turner does not share a story about this coach and something influential he says. I respect this man. I recently emailed him to thank him for his Godly influence on students, mine especially. He wrote me back something surprising. He told me he has paid a high price for living on mission. He has been persecuted. He did not go into detail but the world persecutes those who live on mission for Jesus. 

Following Jesus and living on mission is costly. If we, like Paul, do not count our lives dear, the high cost is inconsequential compared to the mission. So I say, "Onward Christian soldiers marching as unto war." You have a mission. I have a mission. May we stay on task. May we face our fears, overcome our obstacles, stare down sinister evil, swing the sword of the Lord and fight the good fight. May we stay the course. May we do what we say we believe and follow through on what we have been commissioned to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment