Saturday, March 30, 2024

Lord Help Me I Cannot See

 I had an eye procedure on Thursday like I have had done hundreds of other times. Something was very different this time. I typically drive myself to these appointments and drive home. The hardest part is having my eyes dilated. On cloudy days, I wear shades and get back home safely. On sunny days I wear two pairs of shades and get back home safely as well. 

Something was different on Thursday. It was sunny, so I put on two pairs of shades. When I left the parking lot all seemed normal. A few blocks from the doctor's office things changed dramatically. My vision actually began to decrease. I could barely make out the on ramp onto I-30 and then could barely make out the lanes. The further I drove the more my vision decreased. By the time I got to the 820 loop over pass, I was in full panic mode and cried our in prayer, "Lord, help me I cannot see."

From memory I knew the 820 traffic would merge onto I-30 so there would not be a shoulder for a bit. I slowed to a snail's pace looking to get over to the shoulder as soon as possible. Praise God I did so. I pulled onto what appeared to be grass. I could tell the car was leaning to the right so I stopped. I spoke to my phone to call Brenda. Then I called my friend Eric Adcock. He did not answer so I left a voice mail asking him if he could come and get me. I knew that I couldn't drive home. I called some other people hoping someone was available to help. 

I could not even see my phone to answer a call when it came in. I sat there feeling the car shake as traffic zoomed by me. It was a very helpless feeling. I was not blind. Everything was cloudy and I could only see a few feet in front of me. I sat there unable to answer a call, send or read a text. I used my voice to make calls asking for help. 

Eventually Eric responded and brought another man named Mark Julian to get me. People celebrate Independence Day in the United States when we broke away from the tyranny of Britain's King. I celebrate April 28th as dependence day. God saved my life in a real sense. I had traffic all around me driving from downtown Ft. Worth to the edge of Aledo driving without a clear line of sight. I could barely make out the lane markers directly in front of me. Several times I drifted into the other lanes. People were driving 70 mph plus all around. I had to cross over three lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. His hand guided me not only to the shoulder, but to keep from going into the steep ditch that I could not see. 

God taught me further dependence by having to ask for help. I consider myself a pretty independent person. Not on that day. I had to swallow pride and ask for help. I had to wait helplessly by the side of the road for close to an hour before help arrived. Instead of being bitter I was thankful. Thankful for God's hand of protection while I drove. Thankful for good friends who dropped everything and came to my rescue. 

I was relieved when Eric and Mark arrived. Thankful for their sacrifice of time. All of us need someone's help from time to time. Independent people do not like to ask for help. We think we can make it on our own. We justify that attitude by not wanting to inconvenience people. None of us wears capes and have super human powers. We all need help from time to time. I believe God designed it that way. We need community. Even the Beatles sang a song about needing someone to help. 

I chalk that whole experience up to a lesson learned. I will ask for help. I readily admit I cannot do life on my own. I need God's help and the help of other people around me. I am not independent, but just the opposite in being completely dependent.  My vision is much imporoved since Thursday. I still have a few lingering side effects, but nothing so severe as Thursday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment