Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Tell Us About the Cross

 I read the story of the crucifixion this morning in chapel. [Matthew 27:21-54].  I did not speed read. I read slowly letting the words penetrate our minds and our hearts. The heaviness of the death of Jesus hung in the air. Normally the students are restless. Talkative. Not today. Today they were on the edge of their seats. It was quiet, silent, hushed, and still. The story of Jesus dying on the cruel old rugged cross held them captive. They were mesmerized by the story. 

I did not preach. I just read the story. I invited anyone who needed to trust Jesus as Savior to stay behind  so we could talk further. I watched as one student filed out after another. I sat on the front pew hoping someone would stay behind. Nobody did. The high schoolers are the last ones to exit chapel with the youngsters going first. When I saw the high schoolers leaving, I was about to get up and leave myself. 

I did not see the two little boys approach me from the left. When I asked what they needed one replied, "Can you tell us more about the cross?" We talked about sin, our inability to ever be good enough to earn eternal life in heaven. I discussed Jesus taking our punishment and mercifully giving us a full pardon when we ask Him for it. Both listened attentively. 

When I asked if they wanted to ask Jesus to save them, one was hesitant. I offered the option for him to wait until after school and talk to his parents. The other little boy wanted to do it right then. His boldness emboldened the first boy. Right there in the middle section on the front pew on March 26, 2024 Jesus rescued two little boys. When they finished praying, one of them was misty eyed. What a privilege to be there with them both. They are both in my P.E. class. What joyous elation. 

Their first act of obedience was to go to the Head of School and tell Mrs. Hall what Jesus just did for them. What a privilege to tell those little guys about Jesus and the cross. It is the same privilege I feel week after week at the detox ministry. It is the same thrill I get when standing behind the pulpit at Spring Creek to proclaim the good news. It is the same thrill when the good news is shared in the highways and byways. 

The angels truly rejoiced this morning according to [Luke 15:7] Jesus is in the saving business. He is still making people into new creatures. [II For 5:17] Still transforming. Still changing lives. It is greater than the thrill of being at a hospital to celebrate the birth of a baby. I have never experienced anything like it. Getting married was a great day. It pales in comparison. So does the birth of my four sons. No athletic accomplishment can compare. Seeing souls saved is in a class all by itself. It fires me up. 

I challenge you between now and Sunday to go back and read Matthew 27. Let the crucifixion become fresh again. We should never forget. That is why Jesus commanded us to repeatedly partake of the Lord's Supper in remembrance of Him. So we always reflect on His redemptive work on the cross. So we are continually reminded of His gift of grace. May we keep being reminded and keep telling people about the cross.                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment