Monday, November 9, 2020

Prophesying Falsehood

 Jeremiah 14:13-14 (NASB) 

13  But, "Ah, Lord GOD!" I said, "Look, the prophets are telling them, 'You will not see the sword nor will you have famine, but I will give you lasting peace in this place.'"
14  Then the LORD said to me, "The prophets are prophesying falsehood in My name. I have neither sent them nor commanded them nor spoken to them; they are prophesying to you a false vision, divination, futility and the deception of their own minds.  

I hold the office of prophet in high esteem. They were often lonely men living shut up to God and proclaiming an unpopular message. Many times their message was rejected and they personally experienced persecution. Both were true in Jeremiah's case. 

God spoke a very clear and consistent warning to the nation of Israel through Jeremiah. People did not listen. It proved fertile ground for false prophets to peddle a message of prosperity. This message played to the crowds, Built a following and popularity. There was only one problem. Their message was false and not from God. 

The Old Testament put a severe penalty on false prophets. If they prophesied falsely and those things did not come to pass they stoned them to death. I wonder how many so called prophets would be so quick to espouse their messages if they knew they would suffer the same fate. 

I have written this before. Some prophets speak for profit. False prophets know what message appeals to the crowds. I used to view a prophet website. On this site many published their words from the Lord. I noticed a pattern. They were mainly messages of prosperity and very general and vague in nature. Over months I also noticed how few ever came to pass. My verdict; false prophets. 

Why would prophets intentionally deceive? For one reason, to pad their pockets financially or to secure special favors from listeners. There is also another possible reason. Deception from the enemy. On more than one occasion, demons influenced prophets to prophesy falsely. 

All of this to say, prophets beware. God will hold you accountable for words you say are from Him. Listeners beware. Be discerning. Do not beguiled by what tickles the ears. May we not be taken in by falsehoods but hold to God's truth. We might not always like the prophet's message, but so many times it has been needed. 

Jeremiah never saw people repent and turn. They hated him and his message. God approved. In the end, God approval is always superior to the applause of people. I thank God for courageous prophets like Jeremiah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment