Thursday, November 26, 2020

He Jumped Over The Couch

 Jesus said it is more blessed to give than to receive. Brenda and I experienced that recently with one of our sons. We gave an unexpected gift. When we handed it to him, his eyes got big with surprise. For a split second he stood there. Then like being shot from cannon, he bolted for his bedroom and jumped over the arm of the couch, nearly crashing into the built in bookcases in the living room. He could not contain his excitement and enthusiasm from the blessing. 

I chuckled at seeing him so excited. What a joy it is to give. As the Christmas season approaches, many people get caught up in gift receiving. They eagerly wait to open gifts. As any parent worth their salt knows, the real joy comes in giving. In blessing others. In showing love and affection through giving. 

Jesus calls us to give. Even when it hurts and requires sacrifice. Dr. Frankie Rainey, who served as one of my favorite Bible professors at Howard Payne University repeatedly said, "Gentlemen, you will never out give God." Brenda and I have experienced that. We love to give when God prompts us. We also love to bless our children. The more we keep giving, the more God has entrusted to us. Many times we have given in faith. We have never outgiven God. 

Our sons are no longer little boys but have all grown up into men. They have no idea how many times the blessings they received were answers to prayer from a loving, gracious and generous Heavenly Father. Everything from trampolines, bicycles, basketball goals, four wheelers, and vehicles all blessings from God. 

If Brenda and I got so much enjoyment from giving to our son, how much more joy does God receive giving to His children. Giving love. Giving salvation. Giving grace. Giving second chances, third, fourth and so on. God gives us comfort. He gives guidance from His word and the Holy Spirit. He gives provision to meet our needs. He gives and gives. HE GAVE HIS SON SO THAT ALL WHO BELIEVE ON HIM WOULD FIND EVERLASTING LIFE. 

I wonder if God ever gets tickled seeing the giddy way we respond when He gives. The infectious joy when a person gets saved. The thrill of God answering prayer in a dramatic way. The excitement of getting blessed with the desire of your heart because you delighted in Him. God showers blessings. He is constantly giving. 

Today, I am thankful. Not because it is Thanksgiving day. I am thankful for a God who gives all year long. I am thankful that from time to time He allows Brenda and I to experience the joy of giving to our children and others. It is a joy we cannot contain. I got so much joy out of watching my son sprint and leap over the end of the couch I want to go and do likewise. Wait a second. Reason is the better part of valor. At my age, I am not sure I can leap over a credit card. I think watching his joy is spectator sport. 

I am thankful that God blesses His children so we can to turn around and be a blessing to others. TRULY IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment