Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Enthralled

 To be enthralled means to have your attention captured and fascinated. There are many experiences and realities that enthrall people. Look at a child walking into Six Flags or Disney Land for the first time. They are enthralled. Watch the masses at a sporting event or concert. They are also enthralled. 

What about where you worship? Do you see people enthralled? Do you witness worshipers who are fascinated with God as they sing and express their devotion? Do you see exuberance, reverence, awe? People enthralled in the presence of God. 

Many years ago I made the decision to not sit on the stage during worship so I could focus on God and not the people. I cannot say I know how people worship or if they are ever enthralled behind me. That is between them and God. It is not my job or the music minister's job to work people up into a frenzy. People choose to be enthralled or bored in worship. God is the audience. He is worthy of our best attention and fascination. 

What is more important to me is, am I enthralled with God in my private worship? I want my attention captured and fascinated with Him. It was this morning in my time with Him. Enthralled in pure worship not contaminated by what others think. Just the two of us enjoying each other. Yes, I said enjoying each other. In my enthralled experience today, I enjoyed God. I did not rush through our time. I did not have any other agenda except to enjoy Him. To be caught up in His vastness. To lose track of time and space in delighting in who He is.

Enthralled is a great word, but I cannot say my private times with God have always been enthralling. Never on God's part. The problem lies with me. Many times when I come to the prayer closet, I feel like a race horse in the starting gate. I want to start my day. To study. Write. Make phone calls. Plan, Text. Read. So much to do. So much that I rush through private worship and don't take the time to get enthralled. I'm betting I am not the only one. You may have done the same. 

I think being enthralled in private worship on a regular basis enhances public worship. Lackluster public worship gatherings may indicate people's  lackluster private walks with God more than laying the blame at the worship leader's feet. Yahweh is a great King. He deserves great seeking, great devotion, great praise and for us to pause long enough to be enthralled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment